Alsace

Elsaesser   Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 am GMT
After World War I, the establishment of German identity in Alsace was reversed, as Germans who had settled in Alsace since 1871 were expelled. Policies forbidding the use of German and requiring that of French were introduced. .... France regained control of the wartorn area in 1944 and resumed its policy of promoting the French language with uncompromising vigor. For instance, from 1945 to 1984 the use of German in newspapers was restricted to a maximum of 25%.

In more recent years, as nationalistic emotions have receded, Alsatian is now being promoted by local authorities again as an element of the region's identity. Alsatian is now taught in schools (but not mandatory) as one of the regional languages of France. German is also taught as a foreign language in local kindergartens and schools.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alsace

Is the Alsatian language worth to be rescued? And how can it be done?
Guest   Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:58 am GMT
Which are the differences between Alsatian and standard German?
Elsaesser   Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:53 am GMT
<<Which are the differences between Alsatian and standard German? >>

South Alsatian is an Allemanic dialect like Swiss German, but South Alsatian is much nearer to standard German than Swiss German. North Alsatian is a Mosel-Frankish dialect like Luxemburgisch, but here again it's nearer to standard German.
K. T.   Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm GMT
The address below should get anyone who is interested in hearing Alsatian a taste of this Allemanic variety.

If you don't read French (it's a French website), Click on the Rund Um video area. The videos are usually in Alsatian with French subtitles. It would be interesting to know if people who speak varieties of German can understand Allemanic.

If you are Alsatian and view this, please let me know what you think of the dialect of Alsatian.

I wish that there was a way to study Alsatian, but it seems there are not many good resources. I know Assimil has a course, and 102 languages of the World (not to be confused with 101 languages of the World course) has a few phrases.

I've read that Alsatian and English are actually quite close according to one author, but I have my doubts.
K. T.   Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:43 pm GMT
http://alsace.france3.fr/emissions/2050484-fr.php

This is the address I mentioned.
K. T.   Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:55 pm GMT
I just noticed that Audio Forum now has an Alsatian course (about 500 words) and it has pronunciation software as well, I think. Previously, I could only find this on an Assimil site, so this may be good news to people in the US (i.e. Castroville, TX) who are interested in keeping up their Alsatian.

Even though it has been many years, Alsatian Texans still speak Alsatian.
K. T.   Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:58 pm GMT
http://www.audioforum.com/index.php?crn=3088&action=show&show_products_mode=cat_click

Type the address above for info on this Alsatian course. 102 Languages of the World also has Alsatian (not to be confused with 101 languages of the world which does not.)
Invité   Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:29 am GMT
Elsaesser,
Comment tu définis l'identité alsacienne? Qui peut se dire alsacien? Ma grand-mère est alsacienne mais moi je ne suis pas vraiment blond aux yeux bleus (je sais néanmoins que c'est un cliché), puis-je me dire alsacien? (je vis à Paris mais ne me sens pas parisien et j'ai été élevé par ma grand-mère alsacienne).
Elsaesser   Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:06 am GMT
<<<Elsaesser,
Comment tu définis l'identité alsacienne? Qui peut se dire alsacien? Ma grand-mère est alsacienne mais moi je ne suis pas vraiment blond aux yeux bleus (je sais néanmoins que c'est un cliché), puis-je me dire alsacien? (je vis à Paris mais ne me sens pas parisien et j'ai été élevé par ma grand-mère alsacienne). >>>

Many aspects of the Alsatian identity can be found in the "monde diplomatique" article
Alsace, exception to the rule
http://mondediplo.com/1998/05/07bihr (English) and
http://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/1998/05/BIHR/10462 (French)

To be an Alsatian it is more important to have been educated by an Alsatian grand-mother than to have blue eyes and blond hair. It is a matter of values and history. If something in your subconsciousness makes you a stranger in Paris and inner France (like Sting's Englishman in New York), then you should return to Alsace, drink a good Kronenbourg, adhere to a local Verein and work hard for goond money in a company without nepotism, mobbing and elitism. Vive l'Alsace libre!-)
Invité   Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:27 am GMT
To Elsaesser,
Kronenbourg? I'd prefer a Meteor, with a big bretzel ;-)
Moch's göt!
Elsaesser   Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:57 am GMT
Meteor is good also. Perhaps sometimes Gewürztraminer or Riesling with Menschterkaas and baguette, which is an Austrian invention from Vienna. Austrians are very similar to Alsatians in many aspects. Perhaps they can tell us how to become independent?
K. T.   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:22 pm GMT
I have never met any Alsatians who indicated that they wanted to be "independant" EVER! I've talked to people in the Haut and Bas Rhin
parts of Alsace and never heard this even whispered. Alsatians are certainly distinct from other French citizens, but they have a lot of good things just by being hard-working people in a larger country. If they were ever able to swing it as an independant area, though, I'd be okay with that.

Blond and Blue-eyed: I didn't see mostly blonds in any part of Alsace. I saw SOME blonds and I saw people with medium brown hair and some with red hair or reddish tones in the hair.

I suppose if one is used to seeing dark brown hair all the time, then yes, Alsatians seem rather blond, but not like Swedes and Norwegians.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:46 pm GMT
If the Alsatians wished to split from France they would had to join Germany, the independence of Alsace alone is not feasible. By the way I see Alsatian language quite worthless, it is a dialect of Standard German.
Guest   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:22 pm GMT
I doubt that Alsatians would join up with Germany, but I could be wrong. In the latter part of the nineteenth century and the beginning of the twentieth century, educated Alsatians studied in German at the university of Strasbourg.

Although Alsatians cater to German tourists (who find them quaint or something), many claim NOT to like them. I heard this over and over when I was in Alsace. I'm not saying that all Alsatians HATE Germans, but those who dislike them don't make a big effort to hide it.

I don't think Alsatian is worthless. Believe me, it's a nice little code for them. It's certainly a Germanic language and it's no trouble for Alsatians to learn German, but Germans have some trouble understanding it. Heck, I have trouble deciphering it and I can understand German fairly well and French very well.

I wonder how many words are UNRELATED to standard German. Does anyone know? Maybe I'll buy that Alsatian course, learn the 500 words and see if Alsatian becomes clear for me.

If anyone wants to continue with their home language, why not?

As for Alsatians having an independant country, I'm not against it, but I don't see it as feasible either. There are manufacturing centers, but a lot of charm is found in the Wine Country.

It's a interesting, charming place. I thought people were very friendly there, almost more than in any other part of Europe.
K. T.   Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:23 pm GMT
Sorry, K. T. wrote that.