Whats the difference between portuguese and brazilian portu.

Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:35 am GMT
what's the difference. FoR eXample if i Learn brazilian porTUGUESE WOULD I be able to understand portuguese from Portugal.

Merci
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:32 am GMT
Yes, it's the same language.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:59 am GMT
I don't think so. It's quite hard to understand european Portuguese even for a Brazilian.
There are a lot of differences between the two portuguese variants:
pronuncition, lexicon, grammar and intonation are quite different. On the whole, European portuguese is harder.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
<<There are a lot of differences between the two portuguese variants:
pronuncition, lexicon, grammar and intonation are quite different. On the whole, European portuguese is harder.>>

Again with this stupid discussion. The language IS the same, same rules, same grammar, same whatever. It's also very flexible, you can say one thing in many different ways; just because you change the accent and use bad grammar doesn't mean it's a different language entirely.

I agree that European Portuguese is harder, but the questions was "if i Learn brazilian porTUGUESE WOULD I be able to understand portuguese from Portugal"? And of course, Guest would.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 pm GMT
If I learn Canadian Engish would I be able to understand British English?
YES.
If I learn Mexican Spanish would I be able to understand Iberian Spanish?
YES.
So... it just happends to be that Brazilians like to pretend that their speak their own little language.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:17 pm GMT
The Portuguese can't even realize how different is their language from Standard brazilian. European Porguese has got some peculiar rules of pronunciation, particularly when it's spoken very fast, that makes it very hard to understand
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
Brazilian and European Portuguese are very far apart—from spelling to the use of verb tenses and terminology. In many situations, the use of European Portuguese is unacceptable to Brazilians, and vice-versa. The choice of words can be completely different and sometimes "laughable." This is specially true when it comes to technical texts, where even the choices of "imported" words are different.

A Brazilian person can read a book or hear an interview on the radio—but that is the extent of the use of European Portuguese in Brazil. In Portugal, Brazilian Portuguese would carry a lot of "mistakes" and awkward word choices and may often be considered an uncultured variation of the European form
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:14 pm GMT
BS, in Brazil they speak PORTUGUESE, no brazilian, get over it, the differences are not biggr than America-British English or Mexican-Spaniard Spanish.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:18 pm GMT
The differences are much greater than American English and British or European and American Spanish. That's for sure
Every expert in the two Portuguese variants could confirm this
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:22 pm GMT
If Portuguese speakers can understand Spanish, it's stupid to think that they can't understand eachother.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:29 pm GMT
<<The differences are much greater than American English and British or European and American Spanish. That's for sure
Every expert in the two Portuguese variants could confirm this>>

You must be an expert then.

The "two Portuguese" aren't a variant of anything. Maybe Brazillian Portuguese is a variant of European Portuguese. Maybe.
Guest   Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:47 pm GMT
os brasileiros gostam destas formas?

Amo-te
dar-to-ei
vi-o ontem
nao o vi ontem
tu disseste a verdade
fi-lo
nao o fiz
tomara estivesses aqui
chamar-vos-emos quando chegarmos
disse-lhe que chegara um amigo dele

Todas estas formas ja nao se usam no Brasil
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:14 pm GMT
In theory, yes, European Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese are the same language, but I've heard that the Brazilian tend to simplify some things a lot, for example conjugations are simpler , in some way like in English . Some Portuguese argue that Brazilians are too lazy to speak Portuguese properly and thus spoil it.
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:39 pm GMT
lol, but still, it's the same language, if they can understand Spanish, they can understand each other, it's ridiculous to say "I speak my own little language".
Guest   Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:46 pm GMT
Lusophones can't understand Spanish und vice-versa. Portuguese and Spanish are two different languages. There is certainly a high level of mutual intelligibility, but this happens with other romance languages.