why are you using "Anglo-Saxon" all the time?

Benjamin   Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:30 am GMT
I have to say that I agree completely with Uriel, Travis, Kirk and Tiffany. It just isn't the word you really hear in England either, except when referring to the ancient Germanic tribe and their language. An exception to this was when a Conservative politician said that 'the vast majority of people in the UK are homogenous Anglo-Saxons' when opposing the large amount of time devoted to the culture and beliefs of recent immigrant groups at school.

And whilst a number of you are reading this thread, including Kirk... anyone know what's happening about LangCafé? Since Yann has disappeared, can those sorts of problems be sorted out? If not, I have the ability and the resources to set up a replacement LangCafé if this becomes necessary.
Uriel   Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:25 pm GMT
I think I've lost my cookies on it. It no longer tells me what posts I have or haven't read, so I just have to guess. And it's painfully slow on dial-up -- I've just about given up even opening anything with pictures on it.
Benjamin   Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
Well, I can't access it at all. It just comes up with a phpBB critical error.
Guest   Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:58 am GMT
<Yes, I agree with Tiffany — 'we' are native English speakers who live in English-speaking countries. >

Comeon! you expect someone to say that over 'Anglo Saxon'? Shit if I had the choice between that and 'Anglo Saxon' I would just frankly take the lazy route and just say 'Anglo Saxon'
Uriel   Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:55 am GMT
Why? Same number of syllables, and both English and speaking are common everyday words -- can't say the same for Anglo or Saxon.
Travis   Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
>>Comeon! you expect someone to say that over 'Anglo Saxon'? Shit if I had the choice between that and 'Anglo Saxon' I would just frankly take the lazy route and just say 'Anglo Saxon'<<

Except that "Anglo-Saxon" has a distinctly different meaning from "English-speaking" in English, even if it is used with such a meaning in French. For instance, I would never describe myself with the term "Anglo-Saxon" instead of "English-speaking" not simply out of not preferring such a use of it out of stylistic or register-related considerations, but rather that such would be stating that I am of English ethnicity (or even that I am not merely just ethnically English but also have non-negligible cultural links with England of some sort) rather than simply that I (natively) speak English.
Uriel   Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:17 am GMT
<<Well, I can't access it at all. It just comes up with a phpBB critical error.>>

Same prob here, Benj. Where's the Kirkmeister? He has admin privileges on Langcafe.

And unless he's a barista in a Starbucks somewhere, I know that boy ain't got a JOB.... ;P
Kirk   Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:55 pm GMT
I'm not sure what's going on with Langcafe--it gives me the critical error message as well...

so sad...

<<Same prob here, Benj. Where's the Kirkmeister? He has admin privileges on Langcafe.

And unless he's a barista in a Starbucks somewhere, I know that boy ain't got a JOB.... ;P>>

Oh, did you miss that thread on Langcafe? I got a job in July. This is, in fact, the beginning of my seventh week at work (where I'm typing this from). I'm a discourse analyst for a company here in San Francisco. It's a perfect job for me because I get to use my linguistics knowledge and work with other linguists--and get paid for it :) If you want to know more I can explain more later but I have a meeting in 5 minutes, actually (ah, work!).
André   Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
The old one has popped up again.

http://14.freebb.com/antimoonbis/

Meanwhile, I've created a new forum... just in case...

http://langcafe2.myfreeforum.org/index.php?sid=98a2f4d7b3db607922881d701b140f10
Deborah   Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:48 am GMT
I also get the critical error message at langcafe.

The last time I remember hearing someone use the term Anglo-Saxon other than while saying the full version of the acronym WASP or referring to ancient tribes, was in Russia. Someone asked me whether my background was Anglo-Saxon. Turned out he wondered whether my ancestors all came from Great Britain.

So, Kirk, how do you like living in the famous San Francisco fog, which we've had so much of at night recently?

By the way, my brother recently told me about a really interesting Wikipedia article on California English he'd come across. :)
Uriel   Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:33 am GMT
Of course I missed your thread, Kirk! When I log on to Langcafe, I have no idea what's new since my last visit -- it refuses to tell me. So a belated congrats on your gainful employment, Kirk!
greg   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:28 am GMT
Salut à tous ! Effectivement Langcafé semble avoir expiré. N'est-ce pas la date anniversaire de sa création ?

andré : ich werde dir eine E-mail zuschicken —> le « code de confirmation » pour ton nouveau forum est invisible sur mon ordinateur.

Kirk : félicitations !
greg   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 am GMT
Guest   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:56 am GMT
André   Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
http://langcafe2.myfreeforum.org

We have quite a few members back there, and the site is progressing. Come have a look!