LL and Y distinction

Ian   Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:44 am GMT
Try http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/phonetics/ , and look of they have an example for LL. =)
furrykef   Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:42 pm GMT
I'm afraid that's not terribly clear. I want an example with words, not isolated phonemes. It's always difficult to figure out the sound of an isolated phoneme.
Gabriel   Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
I'm not convinced the King actually uses [L] in his utterance. The lateralization seems very weak or completely absent. When I get home today, I'll try to make a recording of minimal pairs, even though I do not make the distinction myself.
Guest   Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:08 pm GMT
Para pronunciar la LL ¿ tienes que tocar el paladar con la parte superior del extremo de la lengua o con el inferior,es decir, volteándola un poco?
Guest   Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:28 pm GMT
I'm italian and I have to say that the pronunciation of the word CaLLa by the Spanish king (Juan Carlos) is quite different from the italian GL sound
Guest   Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:39 pm GMT
Thank you Ian, the webpage you provided us explains quite well how to pronounce the LL. That lady's pronounciation is superb.
Em   Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:51 am GMT
Ian, the website that you provided clearly shows the distinction.. in the word "caballo", the "llo" was somewhat pronounced as "liu" as in "cabalio" and the Italian "famiglia".. On the other hand, in the word "bella", it was pronounced as the English "y" as in "beya"..
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:52 pm GMT
The webpage Ian provided demonstrates that Spanish LL is almost identical to Italian GL
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:57 pm GMT
Spanish LL is not identical to Italian Gl
Italian Gl is always pronounced as a double consonants in Italian and its sound is harder than in Spanish
If you can't distinguish simple and double consonants is not my problem

How many Spanish speaking people pronounce properly that LL?
Just Actors and Tv journalists in Spain?
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:31 pm GMT
LL is a double consonant too.

Many people in Italian don't pronounce GL, or open and closed e/o propery either.
V2   Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:47 pm GMT
No, there are people who pronounce LL natively and they are not actors or work in Radio or TV. Those who live in Spanish provinces such as Santander, La Rioja, Burgos, Palencia, Valladolid or Salamanca pronounce LL naturally. Also Valencian and Catalan speakers distinguish between LL and Y when speaking Spanish.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:02 pm GMT
If some italians don't pronounce open and closed vowels properly this does not mean that they don't pronounce these phonemes at all they use them incorrectly, on the contrary most Spanish speaking people never use the phoneme LL and they pronounce it like y or a sort of j/g in Argentina and other south american countries
V2   Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:07 pm GMT
In Bolivia they pronounce LL too.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:55 pm GMT
In Paraguay they distinguish LL and Y as well.
Güest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:28 pm GMT
<< No, there are people who pronounce LL natively and they are not actors or work in Radio or TV. Those who live in Spanish provinces such as Santander, La Rioja, Burgos, Palencia, Valladolid or Salamanca pronounce LL naturally. Also Valencian and Catalan speakers distinguish between LL and Y when speaking Spanish. >>

Of course there are people who pronounce LL like LL.

But the truth is, in the reality, today's Standard Spanish de facto do not pronounce LL as such, even Catalan speakers from the Levante pronounce LL as Y when they are speaking Spanish, even though they retain the LL pronunciation when speaking Catalan.

And about the Northern Spanish regions you mentioned, I invite you to visit those regions and listen to how the majority of the people really speak.

You can pronounce LL as you will, but don't try to distort the reality today.

After all, you can proclaim all over the world that the majority of the people in those areas you mentioned or in Levante distinguish LL and Y when they're speaking Spanish, but that won't change how things are in the reality.

Saludos