English, Spanish and French, similar languages

Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:47 pm GMT
Those who say that Spanish grammar is difficult are obviously people with low IQ. Of course they will not admit that.
furrykef   Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:58 pm GMT
<< The use of the subjunctive mood is hard in Spanish. Very few foreigners can master it. You don't only need to learn subjunctive endings but also how to use them...this is tricky >>

I don't think it's so hard. I get it right most of the time. Occasionally I screw up and say things like "le dije que lo haga" instead of "le dije que lo hiciera", but I still understand the rule. Once you know the rules, it's only a matter of practice.

If you think the subjunctive is so hard, throw me a few difficult sentences in the form of "Le dije que lo _____ [hacer]", or however you'd prefer, and let's see if I get them right.

- Kef
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:36 pm GMT
I don't understand why some Spanish speakers treat Spanish learners as dumbs who can't learn Spanish subjunctive properly. I think that the main difficulty of Spanish for an English speaker is pronunciation.
JLK   Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:02 pm GMT
Spanish is difficult for an English speaker to pronounce?! That might be the case the other way around, but Spanish is one of the most phonetic languages in existence.
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:56 pm GMT
JLK, you are frankly stupid. The fact that Spanish spelling reflects well its phonetics does not mean that the sounds you have to pronounce are easy at all.
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 pm GMT
English is nothing like French and Spanish !!...

You should study more those languages...
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:55 pm GMT
In my view, English speaking people have a lot of difficulty in pronouncing Spanish properly. Even if Spanish only has 5 vowels, they tend to distort them
Guest   Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:06 pm GMT
Spanis vowels are so crystal-clear that for an English speaker's mouth they are difficult.
mac   Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:34 am GMT
Yes, just because Spanish is phonetic, that doesn't mean it's always easy to pronounce. Sometimes when the certain letters are combined in words, they can be unnatural for an English speaker.
JLK   Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:53 am GMT
LOL...pathetic. I would stupid to fall for this. Realistically, this is a 'group' (probably just one person) of Hispanics trying to make their language look more difficult than it sounds. How would you know how difficult it is for us? You are obviously not a native English speaker. It is a fact that Spanish is one the easiest languages for an Anglophone to learn. It is incredibly simple. The pronunciation flows off the tongue. There is no way one could compare it with French pronunciation.
furrykef   Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:32 am GMT
<< English is nothing like French and Spanish !!... >>

It's a lot more like French and Spanish than Latin, let alone languages that are neither Germanic nor Latinate. English is even arguably more similar to Spanish and French than to German, since English has been much more willing to borrow from French and Latin than German has; German tends to deconstruct Latin compounds and reconstruct them using native morphemes.

True, Romance languages do have a more complex conjugation system that English lacks, but then, German has a declension system that English also lacks.

- Kef
GuestJ   Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 am GMT
JFK, your knowledge about languages is limited to bad English. You probably heard several times that Spanis pronunciation is easy and you believe it, but it's simply not true.
JLK   Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:51 am GMT
There is no JFK on this board as far as I am aware of, but perhaps it is best that this moron's posts be directed to this imaginary 'JFK'. LOL.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 am GMT
I agree with GuestJ. English speaking learners of Spanish pronounce Spanish in such a depriment way that I can't coneive how some of them think that Spanish is easy to pronounce. I don't pretend to bash them. French speakers also pronounce Spanish in a nasty way. Probably Italian speakers are the only ones who pronounce Spanish decently.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:21 am GMT
I am frequently told that I sound "Italian" in Spanish and wonder if that is an insult, a compliment, or just a fact. I suspect that my phrases are a little too "sung" for a Spanish speaker.