English, Spanish and French, similar languages

mac   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 am GMT
JLK, I'm a native English speaker. Yes, overall Spanish is easier to pronounce than many languages and is very phonetic. But that doesn't mean non-natives can always speak it perfectly. Sometimes if I speak too fast or if I'm not paying enough attention, I will trip up my pronunciation or inflection. However, yes, it is much easier than French. I don't think anyone will argue with that.
JLK   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:34 am GMT
I have often been mistaken for a native Spanish speaker and I know many English speakers that have had similar experiences. Anyways, Spanish is an ugly language, like the people who speak it. I don't know how anyone could screw up the pronunciation anymore than it is. It sounds like butchered Italian.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:37 am GMT
No, you are only mistaken for a clown. Even Bush speaks better Spanish than you.
Borg   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:54 am GMT
In Lkatin America, people there don't sepak Castellano, but a Chamorro/Chavacano like language plus Guarani, Quechua, Aymara, Quiche, Lunfardo, Portunhol, Nahuatl, Italian etc.

In Spain, only a minority speak Castellano far outnumbered by Catalan, Basque, Galician, Aragonese, Asturian, Leonese, etc.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:54 am GMT
"But that doesn't mean non-natives can always speak it perfectly".

In fact I don't know a single English speaker who pronounces perfect Spanish. Even Stanely Payne who studied Spanish for decades has a noticeable accent.
Borg   Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:57 am GMT
<< I think that English, Spanish and French are the most important international languages because of several factors. But, perhaps, one of them is very important: they are very similar. They have the same alphabet and more than half of the words are almost identical. >>

I think that English, French, Russian, German, and Italian are the most important international languages because of several factors. But with Spanish? Spoken by just very few non-native speakers, It's not.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:00 am GMT
English is the only international language.

Italian and French international? Take your pills please.
Italian is spoken just in Italy, and French in France.
Borg   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:06 am GMT
<< English is the only international language.

Italian and French international? Take your pills please.
Italian is spoken just in Italy, and French in France. >>

No, it's who shoulkd take pills, French is also spoken natively in Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, DOM-TOM, Haiti, Mauritius, and Africa. It seems to me that you're not aware of this because your ignorant.

Italian and German are international because of large number of non-native peakers and their lasting contributions to mankind.
Sicilianu   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 am GMT
Italian is not spoken in all Italy, just in Central Italy and in the North . In the South they have their own languages-dialects which are quite alive in everyday speech and are very different than Italian.
Asturianu   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:09 am GMT
Same here in Spain, Castilian is just spiken in Central Spain, the rest speak a totally different langauges uncomfortable with Castilian.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 am GMT
In Canada they speak English, it's the true national language. French is spoken only in one province. You will hardly find French speakers in Vancouver. As for Belgium and Switzerland it happens the same, only some minorities speak French. Very soon Belgium will splitt off so don't count with this country. In Africa they speak a French creole, it's not really French.
The only country where all the citizens speak French is France so I would not call French an international language. It's a national language in France and no more.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:13 am GMT
In Canada they speak English, it's the true national language. French is spoken only in one province. You will hardly find French speakers in Vancouver. As for Belgium and Switzerland it happens the same, only some minorities speak French. Very soon Belgium will splitt off so don't count with this country. In Africa they speak a French creole, it's not really French.
The only country where all the citizens speak French is France so I would not call French an international language. It's a national language in France and no more.
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:17 am GMT
In Canada French is spoken in Quebec, Northern Ontario and New Brunswick, and Northern Prairie Provinces.

In Africa French is fast becoming the first language not creole.

In Latin America, the people speak Chamorro/Chavacano/Papamiento like languages instead of Castellano. Soon this variants will declare indepence from Castllano and other Spanish variants.
K. T.   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:21 am GMT
French isn't that difficult to pronounce if one has a good model. I did not. Later, I heard how French was supposed to be pronounced and I actually speak it with a native or near-native accent, whereas I speak Spanish with an Italian accent (yes, I'm the guest)...

With French, there was a clear model for me: Parisian French. With Spanish there are SO many models, it's hard to get a unified accent.

I also want to say this: I hear plenty of people who say "venga" with a "v" sound (yes, natives)...
Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:24 am GMT
In New Brunswick French is an official language but only about 30% of people speak it , or maybe even less. Forget it, most of people are English speakers in Canada . There is only one country in the world where French is known by all the people: France. So it's not very international.

In Africa they even pronounce the rolled r. It's very difficult to say that what those people speak is French, at least it's not the French people usually have in mind. Anyway who cares, Africa is the poorest country , they will never learn true French because there are not schools.