English, Spanish and French, similar languages

Guest   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:31 am GMT
Who cares about Spanish when it is disintigrating into Neo-Hispanic langauges just like Romance languages from Latin.

On the other hand French tighten its grip in Africa as it becomes the first language by its inhabitants while Spanish is fast losing its grip not only in Latin America but also in Spain.
JLK   Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 am GMT
---"French is just spoken in France?"

I might not be able to stop laughing. Please, tell me what pills you are taking....But it is true that English is the only international language.

Listen people:

I'm not going to bash Spanish anymore. It is foolish to deny that Spanish is a useful language. However, I think French and English of course have more of an international presence. Spanish is an important regional language like German or Russian. The Spanish language is not my cup of tea for a number of reasons, but namely:

1.) I don't particularly care for the sound of the language.

2.) The culture doesn't particularly appeal to me. This is stereotyping, but they tend to talk very loud and fast. To be forward, I find Spanish/Hispanic culture to unsophisticated when compared with the French, Germans, Italians, Russians,etc...

3.) The lack of accomplishments in the areas of literature, art, music and science. Even little Italy triumphs the Spanish speaking world in these respective areas. I think other languages are better situated for intellectuals like myself. It is a fact that the average Mexican reads less than 1 book a year.

To each his own though. For Americans, Spanish is a very practical language to learn, though I've never understood how practicality and languages related to each other. Americans don't really need to learn other languages. So, it should really be a matter of passion and interest. But if you like Spanish, then, by all means learn it.

To the Moderators: Please, don't delete this post. I know it has strayed a little off topic, but people on this forum have accused me of Spanish bashing and I felt it was important that I address this issue. I've tried to present my opinions in an intelligent and respectful manner. I pray that I was successful.