Question For Non Navite Spanish Speakers

Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:55 pm GMT
English verbs are difficult. For example, go-went-gone ; build-built-built; sing-sang-sung; there are not patterns at all, while on the other hand the Spanish verbs are more regular, you only have to memorize many endings, but once you learn them, it's the same all the time.
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:55 pm GMT
plus all spanish verbs end in either -ar , -er, -ir so it's easy identification. English verbs are of any form imaginable.
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:10 pm GMT
that's a good point.

also Spanish verbs are so regular that basically you just need to know the 6 endings and then you can conjucate pretty much any verb.
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:03 pm GMT
It's interesting to note that in Spanish, like in English, most used verbs tend to be irregular: ser, estar, tener /have,be..
Guest   Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:18 pm GMT
build built built
this verb is really difficult: just two different forms!
English speaking people should know that their verbs are a piece of cake!
Spaniard   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:31 am GMT
I've read a lof of rubbish here.. English verbs are more complex than spanish ones? What the bloody hell are you talking about? In english they're only a little amount of irregular verbs (which only have three different forms: present, past and past participle) meanwhile in Spanish you have to study a lot of tenses and more irregular verbs. Learn to speak spanish properly and stop talkin' cheaply. English is probably the most easy language in the whole world and that's one of the reasons (appart from the British Empire and the US supremacy) why it's the MAIN LANGUAGE USED IN COMUNICATION WORLDWIDE.

Por cierto, cualquier lengua romance es mucho más compleja que el inglés. Ah, y por ahí atrás alguien preguntó si el francés sonaba parecido al español.. ni de coña. El español y el francés son parecidos hasta cierto punto (ambas son lenguas romances) pero fonéticamente distan mucho de ser similares, la lengua más parecida al español es sin duda el italiano y con diferencia.

Un saludo y ánimo a los estudiantes de español. ;)
Spaniard   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:35 am GMT
Completando lo dicho anteriormente también he de decir que las lenguas peninsulares también tienen obviamente grandes lazos de parentesco con el español (con la clara excepción del euskera/vascuence): tanto el gallego, como el catalán y sus variantes dialectales en Baleares y en la Comunidad Valenciana. Siendo gallego el portugués me resulta muy fácil de entender aunque para mi gusto la variante brasileña es más suave, clara y bonita.
Guest   Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:38 am GMT
"In english they're only a little amount of irregular verbs "

I don't think that it's a little amount. At any case, irregular verbs are used 90% of time.
Madrid   Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:16 am GMT
"Beside the point. In British English they're accostumed to dropping "r's" in their speech which interestingly enough doesn't happen in American English."

Wrong. You've obviously never been to New York and New England.

Also, Spanish Spanish (castellano) does not make all men sound effeminate. I have learned Mexican, Argentine, and Spanish Spanish, and Spanish Spanish is definitely the most appealing and interesting Spanish, with Argentine Spanish right after it. I love being able to distinguish between z, c, and s, and using vosotros is so easy.
Guest   Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:56 am GMT
Guest   Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:29 pm GMT
"plus all spanish verbs end in either -ar , -er, -ir so it's easy identification. English verbs are of any form imaginable".

This is one of the most stupid statements I have ever heard! English verbs don't have verb infinitive endings simply because it is pretty scanty from a morphological point of view. Furtherthemore, English does not even distinguish verb and noun forms in many cases. In this regard, German is also much easier than Spanish, all verb infinitives end in -en and it's got just a model for verb conjugation unlike Spanish, which has three
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:36 pm GMT
<<
"In english they're only a little amount of irregular verbs "

I don't think that it's a little amount. At any case, irregular verbs are used 90% of time.
>>

The largest list of English irregular verbs that I've seen has fewer than 500 verbs, and most of those are compounds (ex: overthrow). How many thousands of irregular (mostly stem changing) verbs does Spanish have?
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:09 pm GMT
Fewer than 500?? I would say about 200 of those are the ones actually used in everyday conversation...

<<English verbs are difficult. For example, go-went-gone ; build-built-built; sing-sang-sung; there are not patterns at all, while on the other hand the Spanish verbs are more regular, you only have to memorize many endings, but once you learn them, it's the same all the time.>>

No, English verbs were never difficult. Besides, three verb forms are kind of easy to memorize, no?
Of course you can also memorize the many endings of Spanish verbs (the process is the same, you still have to memorize them) but then it's not the same to apply them.

I'm pretty sure it's much easier to a native of any Romance language to learn English (especially verbs!) than it's the other way around.
Actually, the complexity of these forms shouldn't even be compared as there's no possible comparison.
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:18 pm GMT
As human languages go, in general, Spanish is one of the easier languages. Portuguese and Modern Norwegian are probably the only European languages that come close to Spanish in simplicity

What an idiot! Have you ever learnt Portuguese verbs?? You ought to turn on your brain before posting
Guest   Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:29 pm GMT
Is Portuguese simple???
hahahah, since when? It's a very rich language.