American English - different language?

Guest   Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
What do they use in the North of England as the past participle of "sit"?
"sat"? or "setten (sitten)"?
AJC   Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:29 pm GMT
Sat. At least I don't *think* either of the others are used anywhere
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 am GMT
I went to uni in the North of England (Yorkshire) and I don't ever remember anyone using the word "gotten", and believe me I went around the area pretty extensively during my time in Yorkshire - I even went way up into the Dales of James Heriot country where my mates and I sat listening to the OLD guys talking over their foaming pints in the stone cladded pubs up there. I don't think I haed anyone use the word in question.

Maybe it IS used in very much a dialectal way by some people, mostly the older variety I would reckon, but I never came across it.

My point was this - "gotten" is NEVER used in STANDARD British English any more - ever - unless it's used by someone adopting an Americanism. What I do know for sure is that "gotten" is part of STANDARD American English. They all use it over there. At least I think it is - I can't say for definite as I've never been to the USA.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:31 am GMT
haed is NOT Old English - heard is definitely standard Britih English. Typos happen at great speed.
guest   Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:06 pm GMT
<,haed is NOT Old English - heard is definitely standard Britih English. Typos happen at great speed.>>

s'ok, I think we all got you : )
Guest   Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
Last guest and Damian sitting in a tree... : )
gaeian   Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
<<What I do know for sure is that "gotten" is part of STANDARD American English. They all use it over there. At least I think it is - I can't say for definite as I've never been to the USA. >>

Actually, both "gotten" and "got" are used, depending on the meaning. Compare:

"I've got fat."
"I've gotten fat."
guest   Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
<<"I've got fat."
"I've gotten fat." >>

I think in American usage, the "have/has got" = "have/has"
I've got fat = I have fat

where "have/has gotten" = "have/has become" or "have/has received"
I've gotten fat = I have become fat <or> I have received fat
guest   Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
<<,Last guest and Damian sitting in a tree... : ) >>

u Bastard! ; )
only if Damian's a chick, which I don't think is the case
AJC   Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
<< went to uni in the North of England (Yorkshire) and I don't ever remember anyone using the word "gotten">>

That would be the wrong part to look in. In the north east and in Cumbria at least, it wqould be the form more usually used

<<My point was this - "gotten" is NEVER used in STANDARD British English any more - ever - unless it's used by someone adopting an Americanism. What I do know for sure is that "gotten" is part of STANDARD American English. They all use it over there. At least I think it is - I can't say for definite as I've never been to the USA.>>

Well, that would be true almost by definition, in so far as if anybody used it they would not be using standard British English but as neither standard are in anything like universal use, you can't really use them as a basis for pidgeonholing the speech of *all* the people of the 2 countries.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 pm GMT
**only if Damian's a chick, which I don't think is the case**

If indeed it IS the case then I've been living one gigantic lie for almost 26 years and nobody has put me right, not even my mother. Anyway, the mirror never lies so I can relax. And so can you. It doesn't mean I don't look cute though ... :-)

Another Americanism - "chick". It's not used in the UK - but if it is then it's very rare, except on poultry farms....or by visiting/resident Americans. Mention "chick" to your average Brit and a chirping, tweeting wee bundle of yellow feathers immediately comes to mind.
British Chinese Boy   Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:17 am GMT
Am I strange or what... when you say "chick", a cute and fluffy emperor penguin chick comes to MY mind. I want to hug it. It's 50 times bigger than your bundle of yellow feathers but 50 times cuter too.

Hi Damian! I'm in Edinburgh right now visiting my friend who's at Edinburgh Uni. I think Scottish English is a completely different language! Well, Scots IS a different language after all. No offence: a drunk working-class Scotsman sounds like an orc from Lord of the Rings =pp. My friend's flat faces Nicolson Street and oh, what a ruckus outside!!

But my friend's philosophy lecturer (Dr Alasdair Richmond), who is very Scottish but sober and decidedly middle class, has a wonderful accent. Heheh ~
Travis   Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:07 am GMT
To be technically correct, Scottish English is a major English dialect group, while Scots is an Anglic language distinct from English. The matter, though, is that in practice there is a continuum of forms between Scots and Scottish English, which is linked to Scottish English having developed upon a Scots substratum, with varying degrees of penetration of actual English features in different Scottish English dialects (and hence varying degrees of distance from Scots).
liza   Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:32 pm GMT
you should be a interesting in leaning English[American english]so you will be a good student
guest   Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 pm GMT
<<To be technically correct, Scottish English is a major English dialect group, while Scots is an Anglic language distinct from English. The matter, though, is that in practice there is a continuum of forms between Scots and Scottish English, which is linked to Scottish English having developed upon a Scots substratum, with varying degrees of penetration of actual English features in different Scottish English dialects (and hence varying degrees of distance from Scots). >>

I thought that Scottish English was just the form of English spoken in Scotland, while Scots was a distinct Anglic language with its own dialect groups (Orkney, Shetlandic, etc)...no?