American English - different language?

Travis   Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
That is correct, but the matter is that there is significant Scots substratum influence upon many dialects of Scottish English even though Standard Scottish English itself has little substratum influence from Scots. The reason for this is that the penetration of English into Scotland after the Union was not truly complete outside the upper and middle classes, and thus many people, especially in rural areas and in the working class ended up speaking English which retained non-negligible aspects of Scots. This applies to date, where there are still things such as Glesga which are not Scots proper but which at the same time have large amounts of influence from Scots (whether Glesga is an English dialect with large quantities of Scots influence or a highly anglicized Central Scots dialect is up to debate, though).
Damian in Corstorphine   Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 pm GMT
British Chinese Boy:

Of course Scottish English is a separate Language - how else are we to confuse and baffle the English? :-) So you've encountered some blootered Scots? - guid fir ye! If you can't understand a hunky hearty Scotsman when he's sober then you've nae chance whatsoever when he's bevvied. No offence taken at all - why should there be when it's true? :-) Is your friend staying up at Pollock Halls? If so that's good as you can hop on and off the buses on Nicolson Street there and back - easy peasy. And Nicolson Street wouldn't be Nicolson street without its ruckuses......wouldnae be the same..... hae a guid time while you're here. That's what Edinburgh is for to be sure!
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
Glesca (or Glesga) is indeed a "language" in its own right - ask Bill Bryson if you want further confirmation other than what Travis so rightly says.

There is a very volatile daily chat show on one of the UK TV channels where very bizarre and even more very intellectually challenged people come on and air their differences and slag each other off big time in front of squillions of viewers who have nothing better to do but to watch this crap. The show is filmed in Manchester (Northern England) but is shown UK nationally, and when they have "guests" on stage who come from Scotland.....especially Glesca - Glasgow....they sometimes have subtitles running simultaneously at the foot of the screen as the parties concerned yell and screech and swear and cuss at each other over such things as DNA results or lie detection results or relationship unfaithfulness or duplicity or anything else considered run of the mill daily life on the social welfare dependent sink estates.
Pub Lunch   Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:31 pm GMT
Damien I had a conversation with a Scottish lass earlier and I learned a new Scottish word "Squinty"!!!. Mate I still don't know what it means (can you help??) but your right, you Scots have some different (odd) words man!! She also prounounced her J's a bit like "jah-eyes".

I just started an evening job in a nationwide call centre - I hear some classic stuff - pants job though.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
Pub Lunch - why have you been awol? And you still mis-spell my name - never mind, I don't! :-)

"Squinty" - can you not guess what it means? No? It simply means something that is a wee bit askew, out of kilter - a wee bit cock-eyed (as in squint) - not quite in line, as it should be. Not quite right.

Poor you working in a call centre! Have you moved to Bangalore or Mumbai by any chance? :-) Good luck with your contacts in Glasgow, or even worse, East Kilbride! Sounds like the tables have been turned round - it's usually a case of very fraught and frustrated British callers trying to make out what the call centre operators in India are saying! Still, look on the bright side - you could have a good laugh listening to the Brummies and the Scousers. One sounds comic and the other scally! :-) Anyway, good luck, PL.

btw: what is your favourite pub lunch? Seeing as last night was Burns Night I'd go for cock-a-leekie, haggis, steak pie, tipsy laird and a wee tassie, all chased down by a tot or two...or three..or four...or more... The suppers are continuing this Saturday night. God bless our national poet, Rabbie! Cheers.
Uriel   Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
Cock-a-leekie? I think they make a pill for that -- see your urologist. Tipsy laird? Can't even imagine. Wee tassie -- is it better in small portions?

Good to see you back, PL! I worked at a call center too, once -- crap job, but the pay wasn't bad. Just bores you out of your mind in no time....
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
Cock-a-leekie can sound like male incontinence to a non Scot, but to us it is a delicious soup served at all Burns Night Suppers (celebrating our national poet's birthday 25 January). A huge occasion in Scotland, a sort of follow up to Hogmanay. The services of a urologist are not required.

Here's how it's made - click on the screen top left in the link to see it in action. The cock bit refers to a fowl (traditonally a cock bird but ordinary chicken pieces will do. The French "coc" - we Scots are traditionally linked to the French via the Auld Alliance of old). The "leekie" bit is plain old leeks as "ye can nae dout guess".

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-cock-a-leekie-soup

Tipsy Laird - similar to the English trifle only a whole lot oomphier - basically it consists of sponge cake, drambuie or whisky, raspberry jam, sherry, drambuie or whisky, raspberries, sherry, bananas, drambuie or whisky, double cream, sherry, drambuie or whisky, sugar, sherry, toasted flaked almonds and drambuie or whisky. Very popular and ever so tasty. It's a hot favourite.....served chilled.

The jam bit - jam is just a fruit preserve, unless the fruit concerned is oranges, in which case it is marmalade, and the very best marmalade in the whole wide world is made in Dundee! :-)

The tipsy bit is self explanatory. Laird is the Scottish word for a landowner, especially of a country estate - similar to the English "lord of the manor" sort of thing.

The haggis presumably you know about.....and accompanied by a piper in full kit as it's brought to the table. (Bagpipes of course). Then the steak pie, all of it hot, reekin, rich and served with champit tatties and bashed neeps (basically potatoes and turnip).

The wee tassie - simply a cup or goblet of something hot - eg coffee or tea or, more often than not, a hot toddy - basically whisky and hot water, with a wee bit of sugar if you so want. Tassie - as in the French "tasse" - I told you we are great pals.

At the BNS the Selkirk Grace is recited:

Some hae meat and cannae eat
And some wad eat that want it;
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit.
Trawicks   Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:41 pm GMT
<<This is a genuine resemblance and could be the source of NA [A] LOT. However, the results of the LOT-CLOTH split suggest that NAE had a rounded LOT vowel at the time of settlement. I think Irish English is a more likely source for the unrounded vowel (though Irish English probably got it from the West Country anyway). It's also quite possible that the unrounded vowel is an American innovation.>>

My guess is that in colonial American you would have heard a mixture of the two (which is basically the status of this phoneme in Canada today). OR it may have emerged in order to contrast with the "THOUGHT" phoneme, which is shortened and fronted in GenAm.

I doubt Hiberno-English had anything to do with it, particularly because I actually don't think Irish English has had any overwhelming influence on American speech, outside of some vocabulary (e.g. use of "youse" in some city dialects). The Irish weren't really a dominant presence in American till the early-to-mid 19th Century, by which time most American dialect groups had already solidified somewhat.
Norway   Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:52 pm GMT
<<How does American English compare to British English compared to how, say, Swedish compares to Norwegian (which of course are considered different languages)? >>

I think American English and British English are closer than Swedish and Norwegian. I seldom notice if I read something in British or American English, but always see if the text I am reading is Norwegian and Swedish. This might be because I'm not a native speaker of English, though

After reading the introduction to the article "Scots leid" in the Scots wikipedia, I think the difference between Norwegian and Swedish might be about as great as the difference between English and Scots. I could understand most of it, but had trouble with some words.
Travis   Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
>>I think American English and British English are closer than Swedish and Norwegian. I seldom notice if I read something in British or American English, but always see if the text I am reading is Norwegian and Swedish. This might be because I'm not a native speaker of English, though<<

The matter here, though, is that North American English is effectively a subgroup of southern English English genetically, and only split off from the rest of such relatively recently too. A better comparison would not be North American English versus "British English" (that is, English English), but rather southern English English versus northern English English - which are almost certainly much further apart overall.

>>After reading the introduction to the article "Scots leid" in the Scots wikipedia, I think the difference between Norwegian and Swedish might be about as great as the difference between English and Scots. I could understand most of it, but had trouble with some words.<<

I would actually say that Scots seems further than English than Norwegian and Swedish do from each other. Scots is really only intelligible to English-speakers when *written* in an orthography that is heavily influenced by English orthography; it is much harder to understand even when just written in an orthography that does not attempt to make such easy for English-speakers to understand. When spoken, it is pretty much unintelligible to native English-speakers who have not had some sort of contact with it, unlike the impression that I get of the relationship between Norwegian and Swedish. It is probably more comparable to the relationship between Danish and Swedish in that regard (as while the two are closely related genetically, phonetically they really are much further apart than Norwegian and Swedish).

What seems much more comparable to the distance between Norwegian and Swedish is that between southern English English dialects and northern English English dialects. The two are commonly crossintelligible, unlike English and Scots, but they are not really invariably crossintelligible either (unlike North American English and southern English English, which are pretty close to being invariably crossintelligible, aside from Cockney rhyming slang). Such seems similar to how Norwegian and Swedish are generally crossintelligible, but such does not always hold true, and may definitely not be true with particular dialects.
Trawicks   Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 pm GMT
<<The two are commonly crossintelligible, unlike English and Scots, but they are not really invariably crossintelligible either (unlike North American English and southern English English, which are pretty close to being invariably crossintelligible, aside from Cockney rhyming slang).>>

What do you mean by crossintellible? American English, Southern English English, and Northern English English are all nearly identical with regards to grammar and vocabulary if spoken in a formal register. I'm assuming the same cannot be said for Swedish and Norwegian, although know much of anything about either language, so I may be wrong.

I'm curious as to why you consider Cockney rhyming slang as the one exception to this crossintelligibility between Southern English English and NAE. That's really a specific dialectical feature, isn't it? Surely there would be some issues in intelligibility between, say, an Oxford Dean and a speaker of strong AAVE or Appalachian English as well.

<<The matter here, though, is that North American English is effectively a subgroup of southern English English genetically, and only split off from the rest of such relatively recently too.>>

Very true--and as I alluded to before, NAE wouldn't at all seem out of place if it were some kind of local dialect in one of the rhotic areas of rural England.
Travis   Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:54 pm GMT
>>What do you mean by crossintellible? American English, Southern English English, and Northern English English are all nearly identical with regards to grammar and vocabulary if spoken in a formal register. I'm assuming the same cannot be said for Swedish and Norwegian, although know much of anything about either language, so I may be wrong.<<

I was not specifically speaking of formal registers in the case of English here, but rather more normal everyday speech; it should be noted in particular that there is far more variation in everyday spoken English than there is in formal English, which has very little variation overall. As for Norwegian and Swedish, you can say the same thing about Norwegian, as there has been no real large-scale elimination of Norwegian dialects, but with Swedish many of the dialects have largely been wiped already so really only variations upon formal speech largely exist today.

>>I'm curious as to why you consider Cockney rhyming slang as the one exception to this crossintelligibility between Southern English English and NAE.<<

Simply because the whole concept of such is alien to NAE-speakers. I have seen examples of such, and would not have had a clue as to what they meant if I weren't told such directly.

>>That's really a specific dialectical feature, isn't it? Surely there would be some issues in intelligibility between, say, an Oxford Dean and a speaker of strong AAVE or Appalachian English as well.<<

The main case within NAE that I see there being some likely intelligibility issues is AAVE. AAVE seems to significantly vary in distance from other English dialects, though; one often hears AAVE which is quite intelligible to other NAE-speakers, for instance, but I myself have heard some AAVE which was practically not crossintelligible with my own dialect right here in Milwaukee.
Uriel   Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:05 pm GMT
<<I seldom notice if I read something in British or American English>>

Me either, Norway. They are pretty much identical when written, unless you throw in some slang. The difference is in the spoken sound.

In answer to the thread that has now been locked, the "mistakes" Americans make in speaking English are pretty much the same ones Brits make -- we didn't invent too many of our own; we just imported theirs. So using ain't and double negatives and the like are common to all dialects of English around the world.

<<Cock-a-leekie can sound like male incontinence to a non Scot, but to us it is a delicious soup served at all Burns Night Suppers (celebrating our national poet's birthday 25 January). A huge occasion in Scotland, a sort of follow up to Hogmanay. The services of a urologist are not required.

Here's how it's made - click on the screen top left in the link to see it in action. The cock bit refers to a fowl (traditonally a cock bird but ordinary chicken pieces will do. The French "coc" - we Scots are traditionally linked to the French via the Auld Alliance of old). The "leekie" bit is plain old leeks as "ye can nae dout guess".>>

It certainly sounds good!

<<Tipsy Laird - similar to the English trifle only a whole lot oomphier - basically it consists of sponge cake, drambuie or whisky, raspberry jam, sherry, drambuie or whisky, raspberries, sherry, bananas, drambuie or whisky, double cream, sherry, drambuie or whisky, sugar, sherry, toasted flaked almonds and drambuie or whisky. Very popular and ever so tasty. It's a hot favourite.....served chilled.>>

That sounds mighty tasty, too! I might skip the bananas though. Are they required?

<<The haggis presumably you know about.....and accompanied by a piper in full kit as it's brought to the table. (Bagpipes of course). Then the steak pie, all of it hot, reekin, rich and served with champit tatties and bashed neeps (basically potatoes and turnip).>>

You know, I can't say I've ever tried turnips.

<<The wee tassie - simply a cup or goblet of something hot - eg coffee or tea or, more often than not, a hot toddy - basically whisky and hot water, with a wee bit of sugar if you so want. Tassie - as in the French "tasse" - I told you we are great pals. >>

"Tazo" in Spanish -- you could buddy up to them, too. Whiskey and hot water doesn't sound very appetizing, sugar or no.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
***Whiskey and hot water doesn't sound very appetizing, sugar or no***

Uriel - first and foremost, it's NOT whiskey - it's whisky!!! This is Scotland and we only sup Scotch! - whisky with a "y" is either Irish, or your own JD or Southern bourbon!

Whisky in hot water not appetiSing? I'd like to bet my next month's salary payment ten times over that if you ever found yourself trapped in a raging snow blizzard in the Cairngorms (a range of mountains in the Scottish Highlands) in a sub zero whiteout and a blinding northerly Force 8 and a couple of rugged Highland rangers or constables of the Northern Constabulary came to your rescue and offered you a toddy (whisky and hot water) you would think it was the nectar of the Gods, the tastiest and most sublime liquid ever to pass between your sweet lips.....

I always feel that way even when I'm warm and snug in the jam packed public bar at the Planet Out pub or the quiet calm of the Fox and Goose with my work colleagues at the end of the working day.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:14 pm GMT
PS:

Aye - you're allowed to skip the skinanabins if you dinnae care for them - so long as it has the sherry and drambuie or whisky nobody would miss their absence anyway. I think you could call them "optional".

Now - off down to Planet Out....... :-)