Is English A Sexy Language?

Maire   Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:30 am GMT
Languages are sexy depending on how you perceive their speakers. The more you like a culture and its people, the more you will like their language no matter how ugly it is. Since American culture is so dominant, it is no surprise that so many think of English as "sexy." BUT that having been said, it not nearly as sexy as some others, namely Italian, Greek, French, Arabic, Spanish, and Russian and the Indian language (Hindi, etc.). Of course I could add to the list, but these languages stand out to me as not only phonologically beautiful but also quite sexy. I would also add, that Asian languages seem neutral at best (Japanese) or downright unattractive (Chinese, Vietnamese), while African languages, when I have occasion to hear them, don't do anything for me. As an American, I am biased; I only think English is sexy when spoken with three accents (and in this order): British, Irish, and Scotch. Whenever I hear Jude Law or Ewan MacGregor start talking in their native accents, I just melt; the sex appeal just makes me want to die!!!
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:02 am GMT
>BTW Danish is extremely sexy...

Which bit would that be? The guttural gnashing or the sing-song rhythm?
Damian in Scotland   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:38 am GMT
***I only think English is sexy when spoken with three accents (and in this order): British, Irish, and Scotch***

Och! That's so nice of you to say that.....thanks! I like Scotch too.....but only because it comes in a bottle and is great as a chaser. I say this with a SCOTTISH accent.....not a Scotch one! OK? Guid! ;-)

btw Scottish IS a British accent......I reckon you mean RP ENGLISH English? Like Jude's?
Damian in Scotland   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:52 am GMT
For me the most famous historical Dane / Scandinavian would be Knut (or Cnut).....better known as King Canute who popped his clogs 1035, but not by being drowned by the incoming tide he thought he could halt by his mental powers. Like all the other cool Vikings Knut (Canute) was quite a lad all in all....Danish King of England, King of Denmark, King of Norway. He even had the temerity to invade Scotland! No wonder he thought he could halt the incoming tides!

Viking history is amazingly interesting......I'm so glad their influence still remains in these islands.

Greenock? Are you jesting, Paul? 0-)
Gest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:16 am GMT
>British, Irish, and Scotch [accents]

Apart from upsetting Damian, this is, with all respect, meaningless. There are dozens of English accents alone, and they vary enormously.
Dickson   Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:55 am GMT
Languages are enough sexy. I fuck em instead of my girlfriend. Am I insane mentally, doctor?
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 am GMT
Hahahahaha, Wonderfully crude.
Ivon the boneless did verywell for him self, despite having a fairly serious disability. "Gristle where there were no bones" ouch. They used to transport him around on a shield. He got as far as Dublin i think. But basicly started Viking involvment in Britain I believe. Was it his father that we threw to the vipers?
me   Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:00 pm GMT
definitely essex accents are the sexiest
minnie   Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:27 pm GMT
does anyone else find it funny when non native english speakers claim that english is a simple language whilst talking bad and umgrammatical english?

At least it is too much widspread and too much simple to be an attractive language.
This language is just a easy tool to communicate basic things to a wide numer of peoples.

I'm english, and I speak french and german and there is no such thing as an easy language to learn. Only non linguists would say this.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:23 pm GMT
<<does anyone else find it funny when non native english speakers claim that english is a simple language whilst talking bad and umgrammatical english?>>

What, like forgetting to capitalize the beginning of your sentence and mispelling "ungrammatical"?

Just kidding, don't take it seriously. (Although I do find "whilst" a really funny word and, up until a few years ago, had no idea that it was still in use or how it was pronounced.)

You have to admit that English IS a simple language if you don't bother yourself with such trivialities as rules of spelling and grammar!

honestly, I think English is such a complicated language, from the spelling to the grammar, that I don't begrudge any non-native speaker their mistakes -- as long as I can get the gist of what they're saying, it's all good. (See? There! I forgot to capitalize my sentence myself!)
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
And you're right, NO language is simple if it's new to you.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
Gest:

(Are you American btw? Don't tell me you've now dropped the "u" there as well?)

***Apart from upsetting Damian***
***There are dozens of English accents alone, and they vary enormously***

"Dozens" is an understatement....prolly hundreds all in all. That's one of the reasons English is such an interesting Language. I reckon there is a difference between accents/dialects......and sloppy speech. That's maybe part of the declining standards Ed was talking about in another thread.....in some parts of the UK anyway. I think it's more of an English "thing" really...listen to some UK chatshows on TV and the standard of spoken English is crapito supremo and it seems to be mostly London or Estuary or some Southern England type speech patterns which is a wee bit dreich. I reckon Ed was right in his observations from the UK, but I would seriously not include Scotland in the decline he mentioned....a lot of the people on those shows are barely coherent. I believe we have higher standards up here, and it has nothing to do with accent.

No way am I upset......I'm a Scot, I have backbone, I have a thick skin.....and a very sharp dirk which is within arm's reach..... ;-) ......... a wee exaggeration there but I do have a kilt and a place I could put the dirk if I had one.......nowadays there are strict laws in Scotland against the carrying of weapons......I'd have to pummel you with a thistle or a stale haggis instead.
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
Oh, I thought to scare people off you just lifted up the kilt, and they ran away in fear! ;)
Jim C, York   Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
My favourite bit in Carry on up the Khyber, is when they lift up their kilts to win the battle. Are Scottish knobs like thistles as well? Thats why they are so scarey? Would give a whole new meaning to "I'd have to pummel you with a thistle" No wonder Scottish population is declining!

Hope you see the joke in that ;)
Uriel   Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:02 pm GMT
I was thinking size, not shape (or spiny-ness!) but okay.....!