Is English A Sexy Language?

Jim C, York   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
He better get rid of it, lest he catch bird flu! ;)
Candy   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:25 pm GMT
Oh really? Hope it's OK.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
***He better get rid of it, lest he catch bird flu! ;) ***

Aaaah...tishooooo!...tweet tweet..... hey, shouldn't joke..it's nae funny! ;-( I've never heard of that place where they found the dead swan.

URIEL: The thread was deleted....I expected it to be but dinnae fret....thanks very much for your advice!! The wee bird was kept in the box all night and early this morning I had to change the newspaper lining because it had messed it a lot and it was lying on top of the saucer with the sunflower hearts and it looked more alert than it did last night and was looking up at me with two beadie eyes. Before I went to work I looked up the Royal Society for Protection of Birds website and it gave instructions on what to do if you find an injured bird solater on my Mum took it round by car, still in its box, to the vet surgery not too far away from where we live. She had to leave the bird there and they said they would look at it as soon as they had the time and when she called back this afternoon they said the bird had died.....apparently it had been quite severely injured around its neck where the cat had been holding it in its mouth and the trauma of being handled (it was a fledgling) proved too much for it.

Sad but that's nature...red in tooth and claw, literally.....cats go for birds...dogs go for cats...that's the way it goes. I couldn't see any injury on it but to be honest I didnae want to examine it or hold it any more than necessary...it felt so fragile, puir wee thing.

The problem now is persuading the lady next door to have a bell fitted to her (BLEEPING) cheat ...that's Scots for a cat ;-) I console myself by the certainty that had I left the bird outside and not brought it in the cat would have got it......after I'd brought the bird inside the cat came back into the garden and slowly slunk towards the spot in the garden where it had been. My stepdad is pissed off with that cat actually so he is going to spread that stuff on the garden which does not harm the cats but it's so dreich to them they don't come anywhere near it.

Thanks for you concern and advice, Uriel.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:44 pm GMT
PS: The vet surgery did not make any charge, as my Mum thought they might. ;-)

Unfortunately there is no national health service for animals so it's best to take out pet insurance for vet bills, which I am now thinking of taking out for my dog George...he is due for a booster jab soon I think. When he developed this itch he was scratching himself a lot and the exposed parts of his tummy looked as if it had a rash, so I took him to the vet and one jab on his back lower neck and a course of tablets for him to get rid of the irritation cost £39. Just as well the irritation healed up very quickly. ;-)
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 pm GMT
CANDY: It was a very young collared dove...so young the half ring around it's neck had hardly developed. They can be a wee bit irritating really when they perch on aerials and other high places and go "coo-COO-coo...coo-COO-coo...coo-COO-coo" on and on and on.......and it's so loud!
Uriel   Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:42 pm GMT
Well, you and your mother get points for trying, Damian. I did the same thing with two young squirrels I found once -- one was badly injured, and the vet dealt with it for free -- the other we kept as a pet for a while, and then turned over to animal control to release after a while -- they're cute when young, but apparently not so much when they get older. And most states have laws about keeping wild animals without a permit.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:44 am GMT
Apparently Squirel is served up in some poncey resterants in America (probably in Europe now aswell).
Squirel apparently is very good meat, they are very agile, so low fat and very tender. You could have made your self a few bob Uriel. ;)

Oh yeah, Damian. Supermarkets are now saying they don't source poultry and eggs from Scotland. Silly beggers, every one is paranoid over nothing.
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:02 am GMT
No, I've eaten squirrel before. It's stringy and tasteless. I've never heard of it being a gourmet meat before. Usually it's something you only eat if you hunt it yourself. There's certainly no market in raising rodents for restaurants!
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:16 am GMT
I saw it on a survival programme I watch. Showed RAF pilots being trained, its what the guide told them. I better take them snairs down. :).

Cheers Ray Mears!

I have heard it a few times though, that its the latest craze. Its like there was a place in London that served only insects!

You should only eat these things when you really need to!
Damian in EH12   Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:34 am GMT
If I was enjoying a meat dish without knowing what it was then someone told me it was squirrel I would throw up on the spot. They may be pests big time, but they are quite cute to look at sometimes. But the same can apply to lamb.....those nice wee snow white lambs gambolling about on the hillsides looking so happy enjoying life at this time of the year look so appealing you feel like turning veggie there and then....but come Sunday lunchtime the roast lamb and mint sauce is oh so yummy.....weird.

Jim: I fancy a chicken and salad baguette for lunch.......paranoia doesn't come naturally to me. Some societies do eat insects don't they? I imagine a scorpion sarnie would have quite a crunchy bite to it.....what would they do with the stinging tail bit?
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:52 am GMT
I know of a technique for collecting ant larvie, once you've got them you fry them in butter, with a little sugar. They taste like prawns apparently.
I could never be a vegatarian. I love meat, I eat my steak nearly raw.
Oh yeah, and you can get scorpion lollypops on Firebox.com
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:20 pm GMT
Well, I've heard non-shellfish enthusuiasts refer to lobster as the "cockroach of the sea". And those who gag at the thought of escargot would be wise to remember that snails are first cousin to clams and oysters, and second cousin to calamari -- all members of the mollusk family!
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
And I got a little too enthusiastic with the U's in enthusiast...
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
Im not a fan of things like oysters, or other such things. Though grazers like limpets look quite nice, then again razor clam is supposed to be very nice, we dont eat them here in the UK anymore, we export them to France where they love them.
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:08 pm GMT
I wonder if this conversation is sounding sexy to anyone at this point! Probably not....