Accents in American Movies

Clark   Thursday, June 26, 2003, 23:47 GMT
Bom dia, mjd. Como estas?
mjd   Friday, June 27, 2003, 00:05 GMT
How's it going Clark. Hope the summer is treating you well.
.   Friday, June 27, 2003, 01:47 GMT
"gandalf doesn't use an american accent. it sounds english to me. the same for saruman."

Most of them in that movie use British accents don't they?
Clark   Friday, June 27, 2003, 19:08 GMT
Aragorn is the only one in the movies who does not have a British acent.

Samwise has an Irish accent, Frodo has a quasi-Enlish accent, Merry and Pippin have Scottish accents, and the rest have English accents.

Karl Urban, who playes Eomor, is a New Zealander, but has an English accent. And Elrond, played by Hugo Weaving, is Australian, and he has an English accent.

I am doing well, mjd. And you?
Fisher   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 03:16 GMT
What kind of accent has Stu from Phone Booth?
Clark   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 03:30 GMT
American.
Fiher   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 04:29 GMT
I thought it was one of the NY accents (Bronx?).
But maybe, that's because I'm not used to the rate of speech. Possibly if he slowed down it would be just a general American to me.
Clark   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 05:07 GMT
I did not see the movie, but I saw parts of him speaking, and he was using what appeared to be the standard American accent.
Julian   Monday, June 30, 2003, 04:37 GMT
Re: the Nanny -- her accent is overexagerrated Jewish yenta from Queens (NY), with the obligatory Yiddish words and phrases thrown in. Mr. Sheffield's sounds RP to me.

Re: the request from the pronunciation teacher from India -- what American movies are you referring to?
mjd   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 21:55 GMT
Fisher,

Stu from "Phone Booth" has an American accent from NYC (he says he's from the Bronx in the movie). What is interesting is that Colin Farell is Irish, so he's imitating the accent....pretty well I might add.
New comer   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 22:04 GMT
Does Jack Nicholson has an accent ? if yes, from which part of the US ?
mjd   Wednesday, July 02, 2003, 22:06 GMT
Jack Nicholson is from my home state of New Jersey. He kind of has his own unique voice though.
New comer   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 05:39 GMT
mjd
He has a nice voice. Great actor !
Julian   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 16:47 GMT
Jack Nicholson may have come from New Jersey, but after several decades living in Beverly Hills, his accent and speech pattern is more of a laid-back Angeleno.
mjd   Thursday, July 03, 2003, 20:26 GMT
You're probably right, Julian.