Harry Potter books to improve English

Adam   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 22:25 GMT
I currently own the 5 Harry Potter books from Bloomsbury. I've read each one 3 times, and since I started reading them I've noticed that my English has become more fluent and richer in vocabulary.

I certainly recommend this novels to non-native english (speakers) children as well as adults and teenagers to improve their english, without getting confused with very difficult vocabulary or native expressions.
Dorian   Saturday, June 28, 2003, 23:52 GMT
Adam
Your English is like a native.
I agree with you. Harry Potter is a fun way to imrove our English.
Adam   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 00:13 GMT
Surprise! I am not native english speaker, I am from Spain.

¡Joder! ¿que se ha traído ése tío?
Dorian   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 03:32 GMT
Por qué 'joder' ?

Ne comprende. Puedes en ingles decir por favor.
Adam   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 04:17 GMT
It is just a typical expressions said here in Spain.

No comprendo. ¿Puedes decirlo en inglés por favor? would be correct.
Dorian   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 08:04 GMT
Muchas gracias Adam.
Boy   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 18:21 GMT
Would you mind sharing some expressions and difficult vocabulary words from these books? I'd love to look them up in a dic and learn them. I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.
David Bosch   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 19:26 GMT
In the third book (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) I saw the word "torch", Harry had one in his hand on his bed beneath the blankets. And I thought a torch was a timber stick with fire, but... beneath the blankets?, so I managed to get a British dictionary and I saw torch was the British for flashlight.. ooo.
David Bosch   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 19:33 GMT
Hope it helps, Boy.
Boy   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 23:35 GMT
David,

I hope you were not pulling my leg. I have known that word already. As I wrote earlier, I was looking for some difficult words and expressions. Understanding the meaning of "Torch" was easy as pie.
David Bosch   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 23:55 GMT
Well, well, I am sorry!; so now I'm the stupid one not knowing that word. I tried to help, not to insult you. You brag too much for too less.

If you don't want my help with 'silly words', try not to use boasting expressions such as 'I hope wou weren't pulling my leg,' just tell me.
Adam   Sunday, June 29, 2003, 23:56 GMT
Yes boy, David was not aware of you're knowledge on that word.
to boy   Monday, June 30, 2003, 19:23 GMT
Could you please tell those who don't know what 'to pul one's leg' means.
Thanks.
Boy   Monday, June 30, 2003, 23:38 GMT
Sorry, I was wrong. Anyway, once again sorry for my harsh post. I forgot for one minute everybody minds work differently. I have been reading your English right from your first post and it was too advanced for me. I thought that you definitely knew that world, only playing on words with me.

To boy;

"To pull someone's leg" means the same as to kid or joke with someone else.

I hope you were not pulling my leg = I hope you were not kidding with me.
David Bosch   Tuesday, July 01, 2003, 00:45 GMT
What happens is that I read that book a lot before my first ever post; November 2001 or thereabouts. Thereat I didn't know that word.

For several more American-British translations I recommend you to go to www.effingpot.com, I has really helped me.