a question to all europeans or people who can answer this

Tremmert   Tuesday, September 23, 2003, 10:27 GMT
I think 'Dunny' is the best word - read 'Skeleton on the Dunny' by Paul Jennings ;)
Jim   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 01:08 GMT
I agree that "dunny" is the best word.

Euphamisms, schmoophamisms, if you ask me, there's nothing wrong with the word "toilet" nor is there anything wrong with saying that you're going there.

People get too uptight about this kind of shit. Especially Americans. Though I must admit that I've used "ladies'" and "gents'" ... only for the benifit of these uptight people.

"Washroom" and "restroom" are two of the worst words in the language. If it were up to me, I'd ban them. You're neither there to wash nor rest. Also it's only a bathroom if there is a bath in it.

Anyway, most of the time, I'd just go ... no need to tell anyone the specifics of where.
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 01:14 GMT
Jim, remind me never to shake your hand if we happen to meet because I do not know about you, but I do wash my hands every time I go to the toilet/restroom/bathroom/wc. And the sink is generally (almost always) in the same room as the actual toilet.

Seriously though, since these words are ingrained into our different cultures and societies, we should stick to saying "bathroom" or "restroom" in America; "lu" or "toilet" in Britain," "toilet" or :dunny" in Australia; and this way, everyody is happy.
mjd   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:14 GMT
I tend to favor the classic: "I gotta take a piss."
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:48 GMT
Males: I am going to drain the lizard/snale.
Females: I am going to shake the dew off of my lilly.

And I meant "lou" in my last post.
mjd   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:49 GMT
Isn't it spelled "loo" in Britain?
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:49 GMT
And I meant, " I am going to drain the lizard/snake."
Clark   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:51 GMT
I cannot remember. But now that I think about it...
Californian   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:54 GMT
It's LOO
Rugger   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 02:58 GMT
Hey Tremmert, like all Paul Jennings books, I found 'Skeleton on the Dunny' to be quirky and humorous to read.
Tremmert   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 11:03 GMT
Yip ;) that's why I like that word ;)
wassabi   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 03:18 GMT
wow, who thought a question on toilets could spark such a discussion. those toilet manufacturing companies must make a bundle with you guys
Tremmert   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 10:27 GMT
Rugger - actually I remember not all of his stories were funny, there was that very sad one about the crippled boy and his mad brother who collected toilet paper ... although the description sounds funny if you've read the story you'll know what I mean.
Sima   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 18:41 GMT
No Clark, je suis pas française.
Tim   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 18:46 GMT
What about "washrooms" ?