Language enthusiasts

wassabi   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 02:57 GMT
the uninterested lady replied "thats good for you."
Uninterested...   Monday, September 29, 2003, 12:43 GMT
People who are close-minded enough (yes CLOSE, not narrow) to see language enthusiasm as a taint really don't worth the trouble.
Fortunately, I have seldom had the chance to meet people of that heartening kind.
Sima   Monday, September 29, 2003, 12:58 GMT
"C'est très chic" to speak English in Paris. If you want to have the attention of everybody in underground when you are in Paris, just speak English. All the heads turn towards you.
Simon   Monday, September 29, 2003, 14:22 GMT
Oh heavens... All these people taking it so seriously. I think liking languages, communication etc. is really great. However, there is always the possibility of being boring about it. That's all.
Lou   Monday, September 29, 2003, 15:16 GMT
For me it's just fun to be able to talk to someone in another country who speaks a language other than mine. It means being able to have a little conversation, no matter how little, instead of just staring at each other and shrugging shoulders.
Simon   Monday, September 29, 2003, 15:45 GMT
This is what I mean - it is a tool, a useful enjoyable one but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. Take computers, they enable us to do amazing wonderful things but we have also all met computer bores.
mjd   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 06:59 GMT
I was just joking earlier when I wrote that stuff about being nerds (as was Simon when he created the thread). I'm not ashamed that I have an interest in languages and of course it's a useful tool in communicating with others.

Now let us all stand tall and be proud our love of languages and, of course, the antimoon forum. There, is that better?
mjd   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 07:01 GMT
*...be proud of
Simon   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 08:13 GMT
Any passion you have is only worth talking a lot about if the person you are talking to shares that passion.
Jim   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 08:22 GMT
I don't know, I think it could sometimes be worth talking a lot about a passion you have even if the person you are talking to doesn't share that passion. Maybe not too much though.
Passion sharing...   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 10:58 GMT
By talking with someone else about his passion, you might take an interest in it although you were pretty sure it wasn't something for you...
Simon   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 11:53 GMT
Passion fruit though can be talked about with anybody.
mjd   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 15:31 GMT
hahaha
Clark   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 16:49 GMT
I think when you speak just a little of someone else's language, the person you are speaking to will find it enjoyable to speak with you.

Language to me is not just communication, but also an expressor of emotions like poetry and things like that. I guess you could say that poetry is a means of communication, but I think that poetry is more than just communication.
Simon   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 08:29 GMT
No it is a vehicle, like computers are. Computers are not interesting - what you can do with them is.