Learning the American accent

Holly   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 12:27 GMT
Hi!I have lived in America since I was 15 and I still don't have an American accent.People still ask me where I am from?How can I learn the American accent?
Fly   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 13:02 GMT
It will be more helpful if we know where you are from or what languages you speak before we make any suggestion.
Simon   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 13:02 GMT
As an adult, it takes something rididuculous like twenty years to fully lose one's accent. Maybe you haven't been there long enough.
ryan   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 14:29 GMT
Holly how old are you ? and how long have you been living there ? Did you go to school in America ? Are you in contact with American people ?
15 is early enough to get the local accent.
Chris   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 18:30 GMT
I also think you are young enough to pick up any accent, just try to spend more time with people from your own town and talk to them a lot, you'll get it eventually
ikhllas   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 18:57 GMT
maybe it is about your features??

i don't know.. but it deapents as mentioned above ,on your age, ,,etc

salaam

ikhllas okasha
Anti-AmeriMoon   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 23:26 GMT
For fear of getting the English speaking world's ugliest accent, leave America! Move to Canada for exemple. You are young enough, your American habbits are probably not irreversible yet, so take the chance to flee from them before it's too late!!
A.S.C.M.   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 00:13 GMT
Holly, what sort of accent do you speak with? If you speak with a native English accent (e.g. Australian, British, Canadian), keep it by all means, for there is absolutely no need to pick up an American accent.

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto is lovely.
Boy   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 01:07 GMT
Holly, You can't change your natural accent unless If you're a 2nd Tom. So what's wrong with you If people are asking where you're from. It is good to see that you haven't lost your identity yet. That you should be proud of. Be proud whoever you're, don't need to take pain-killing pills If you don't have an American sccent. Just give your straight answer to them, I come blah blah from there. It will take only a couple of words. My serious question is for you, do native speakers understand your accent clearly?
Ryan   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 02:40 GMT
I'm not sure what makes the Canadian accent so much better than the American one. Don't they sound basically the same? You people are just bigots.

Ryan
Joaquin   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 03:27 GMT
I have an uncle who was in his forties when he moved to Australia. In just over a year, he picked up an Australian accent and claims he doesn't know how to speak his mother tongue (Tagalog) anymore. I thinks he's full of shit.
Javier   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 16:26 GMT
To Boy

I dont understand why you associate my accent in English with my identity. The latter only belongs to my mother tongue, not to English. If I wanna speak English with an American accent, this one won't affect my identity. Another thing is that to speak with a native accent is very difficult for most learners, other than it is no necessary in order to be understood.

Cheers
Anti-AmeriMoon   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 16:40 GMT
>>I'm not sure what makes the Canadian accent so much better than the American one. Don't they sound basically the same? You people are just bigots.<<

Ryan, my boy, maybe my aim is to upset sensitive Americans the likes of you...
Jamie On   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 16:42 GMT
lol
Fly   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 17:00 GMT
Joaquin, your msg is so hilarious. :)