The word toilet?

mjde   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 15:28 GMT
*spelling....toilet
mjd   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 15:37 GMT
Actually, I think there's an element on this forum whose sole reason to be here is to talk about toilets, shitting, etc.
Eastie   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 15:59 GMT
What's next? A lengthy discussion on port-o-potties, perhaps? Maybe we should weigh the benefits of installing urinals and bidets in every home. I myself am troubled by the amount of water I waste by flushing the toilet every time I take a piss.
...   Wednesday, October 15, 2003, 16:42 GMT
yeah, the toilet is the thing that's in the bathroom, it is not the whole restroom, because if is was they'd have to have one huge toilet, a dinosaur could use that toilet.
..   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 03:25 GMT
Ingrid   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 09:46 GMT
Can i say that i go to the toilet? is it impolite?
...   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 13:55 GMT
Jim, what if the dogs needed to go out to urinate or defecate in the yard? What would you say? I would say that I'm taking the dogs out to use the bathroom. It would sound crazy to say I'm taking the dogs out to use the toilet, because then someone would say, oh, you're dogs can use the toilet. How did you teach them that? It's really hard to train dogs to do that. It is more easy to train cats.
all the sheep   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 15:44 GMT
i say this is a real shithole in here .
...   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 16:04 GMT
spelling ''your'' not you're
...   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 16:34 GMT
On the interstate stopping at a rest area on a trip, of course wouldn't you call that a rest area not a toilet area, so then why call the restroom the toilet?
...   Thursday, October 16, 2003, 16:41 GMT
What about when someone say, I need to go to the outhouse? Of, course a long time ago, many houses didn't have indoor bathrooms, you had to go out to the outhouse, it could be raining, it could be freezing cold outside, thunder and lightning, etc. but you still had to go to the outhouse. What is wrong with calling the bathroom at your house a ''bathroom'' when it even has a bathtub in it.
Jim   Friday, October 17, 2003, 03:20 GMT
Of course, I wouldn't say "I'm taking the dogs out to use the toilet." that would be absurd because that wouldn't be at all what I'd be doing. However, for the same reason saying "I'm taking the dogs out to use the bathroom." would be no less absurd.

A far better choice would be "I'm taking the dogs out so they can do a shit." If that's too much information for my up-tight guests I might try "The dogs need some fresh air." or something.

I wouldn't be in the situation anyway because I don't have pets and don't want any and even if I had dogs, I would never allow them in the house. But I suppose that this is besides the point really.

About calling a room with a bathtub in it a bathroom, that's my whole point. That's my definition of a bathroom: a room with a bath in it.

They call the rest areas on highways that because that what they're there for. It's dangerous to drive long distances without taking a break. They've got toilets but the toilet is not what they're all about.
Jim   Friday, October 17, 2003, 03:21 GMT
... thats what they're there for.
Why   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 02:58 GMT
Why would you curse when ever you'd take the dogs out to use the bathroom? I'm taking the dogs out so they can take a shit. Why not say I'm taking the dogs out to go number two?
Why   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 02:59 GMT
Why would cursing be a better choice than not cursing? shit is a curse word, bathroom is not.