Catsup

Richard   Monday, October 20, 2003, 01:26 GMT
Tomato sauce/ketchup distinguish the two. Chips/french fries distinguish Restroom/toilet distinguish biscuits/cookies/crackers distinguish.
..   Monday, October 20, 2003, 01:42 GMT
I went to the grocery store and bought some Heinz Ketchup and a can of Hunts Tomato sauce. I bought some french fries and some chips. I went to the restroom and the toilet overflowed.
...   Monday, October 20, 2003, 01:51 GMT
they also say universe/world distinguishes the whole universe from the earth. The world is part of the universe.
Jim   Monday, October 20, 2003, 02:00 GMT
In Autralia "chips"/"chips", "tomato sauce"/"tomato sauce" & "toilet"/"toilet" are distinguished by context. Hey, we get by. There is not right or wrong about it.

We do use the words "biscuits", "cookies" and "crackers" but they mean different things in Australian English than they mean in American Engish (as far as I know).

As for "universe" verses "world", don't we all use these words the same way?
..   Monday, October 20, 2003, 02:30 GMT
It seems weird that they use tomato sauce and tomato sauce, chips and chips, toilet and toilet, and can't distinguish between the two different things. it would sound crazy to me.
Jim   Monday, October 20, 2003, 03:20 GMT
It's not that we can't distinguish between them. It's just done by context or clarifying phrases where necessary. In any case it causes no problem. If it would sound crazy to you then so be it. You might have a hard time if you go to Australia ... then, on the other hand, you'd probably get used to it pretty soon (unless you're kind of slow).
Juan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 04:05 GMT
Ketchup sounds crazy to me. Is this a trademark or something?
Rugger   Monday, October 20, 2003, 04:15 GMT
As Jim says, it's all a matter of context. If someone says "I'd like some tomato sause with my chips and meat pie", you know instantly that they want the bottled tomato sauce (ketchup to Americans) and not the tomato sauce eaten with spaghetti, which I just call "spaghetti sauce". The same goes with chips, if someone says "I'd like some chips from Maccas", you know that they are reffering to french fries. If they say "I'd like some salt and vinigar potatoe chips", you know they want "crisps" with salt and vinigar flavouring.
Juan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 04:45 GMT
Isn't the other so called "tomato sauce", (you know the one usually used to make pasta, spaghetti) supposed to be called tomato paste. That what I thought it was called anyway.
Rugger   Monday, October 20, 2003, 04:56 GMT
I think "tomato paste" and/or "can tomato puree" are ingredients that can be used instead of fresh tomatos when making the "tomato sauce" in pasta dishes.
A.S.C.M.   Monday, October 20, 2003, 06:37 GMT
Vinegar, potato, tomatoes.
Jim   Monday, October 20, 2003, 07:05 GMT
Yeah, tomato paste is tomato puree. It's just tomatos pureed. You get it in a can, it's thick and not that sweet.
Ryan   Monday, October 20, 2003, 16:53 GMT
Ketchup was a Chinese sauce brought back to Britain by British sailors. The British changed a lot of the ingredients around and one of the ingredients that British emigrant New Englanders eventually added was tomatoes. Hence, ketchup in the US eventually became that red stuff you get in a glass or plastic bottle in supermarkets everywhere.
Ketchup   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 00:38 GMT
Catch up to the ketchup.
Ketchup   Tuesday, October 21, 2003, 00:44 GMT
ketchup is not a trademark, ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise.