Catsup

Richard   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 17:00 GMT
Ketchup is spelled ketchup, how come in grocery stores in some of the aisles sometimes when they tell what the aisle contains they misspell it catsup?
Julian   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:28 GMT
Technically, ketchup and catsup are both misspellings. They are European attempts at spelling "ke-tsiap," a Chinese sauce made of pickled fish bits. When the sauce was introduced into Europe, the locals substituted the fish parts with tomatoes and mushrooms, bottled it, and slapped on labels with various spellings of ke-tsiap: ketchup, cetchup, catchup, catsup, etc.

"Ketchup", "catchup" and "catsup" are now the accepted forms (or at least, all have made it to English language dictionaries), so you can't really say that one is correct and other a misspelling.
And   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:33 GMT
It's spelled ketchup on all bottles, and anyway that's how its pronounced, no matter how you spell it.
Richard   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:34 GMT
it is pronounced kech-up not kat-sup.
Fly   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:34 GMT
Do you guys pronounce "ketchup" the same way as "catch up"?
Richard   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:36 GMT
Ketchup and catch up are often homonyms but catchup is not another spelling of ketchup.
Richard   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 19:39 GMT
I pronounce catch up and ketchup the same.
Ryan   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 20:00 GMT
I pronounce them the same but I don't think people pronounce them the same on the East Coast of the US, where it is ketchup (kech-up) and catch up (kaech-up). They don't pronounce marry, Mary and merry the same either.
mjd   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 21:34 GMT
It's just another spelling of ketchup. It's not wrong, despite the way it's pronounced. Since when have we spelled things the way we pronounce them in English?
Tom   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 23:31 GMT
Ryan,

Do you pronounce "bed" and "bad" the same? "Ketchup" has the "bed" sound, and "catch up" has the "bad" sound.
Richard   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 23:54 GMT
Do you pronounce bed and bad the same is a silly question. Of course not.
Have you ever heard anyone pronounce bed and bad the same. But, I do pronounce catch and ketch the same.
,   Saturday, October 18, 2003, 23:55 GMT
or how about someone says ketchup has the good sound and catch up has the bad sound.
Richard   Sunday, October 19, 2003, 00:12 GMT
Do you pronounce quarter, korter or kworter? I say korter
messire lavoisel   Sunday, October 19, 2003, 00:14 GMT
Kworter.

Je trouve que ça sonne mieux ;)
Richard   Sunday, October 19, 2003, 00:36 GMT
The korterbacks don't want a penny, but they'll do anything for a korter.