Hello or Hi ?

Richard   Thursday, October 30, 2003, 23:04 GMT
Hello students! Hi students! what's the difference.
mjd   Friday, October 31, 2003, 05:01 GMT
Nothing really.
Californian   Friday, October 31, 2003, 06:52 GMT
A lot of people answer the phone with "What's up" or just say their name, or "Smith residence" or something. I consider "What's up" a little abrupt. When I answer the phone, I say "Hello?" like most people. I rarely say "Hi" in real life, preferring the greeting "Hey."
Simon   Friday, October 31, 2003, 08:21 GMT
I think Hey and Hi as a greeting are really the same word. In all the Germanic languages I know you have this H+diphthong greeting.
Antonio   Friday, October 31, 2003, 11:10 GMT
Some people answer the phone with ´YES´.
Simon   Friday, October 31, 2003, 11:33 GMT
That's considered rude though innit squire?
IloveEnglish   Friday, October 31, 2003, 14:29 GMT
according to the Oxford Dictionary :
Hi, (informal) is an interjection used as a greeting like Hi there !
British : Hey.
Do British use hey ? I've never heard.
peggy   Friday, October 31, 2003, 14:31 GMT
Ahoy was a cry used by sailors attract attention. Ahoy there ! Land/ship ahoy !
fanny   Friday, October 31, 2003, 14:38 GMT
Simon
what do you mean by "innit squir" ?
yalda   Friday, October 31, 2003, 14:46 GMT
German greet with "Hallo" with a guttural "H".
ooops   Friday, October 31, 2003, 14:49 GMT

Some people answer the phone with "good morning", "good afternoon", ...etc. especially when you call offices, shops, business...etc ? I rarely heard my American friends answer the phone in the evening with "good evening". Maybe I'm wrong.
Ryan   Friday, October 31, 2003, 20:12 GMT
You can answer the phone with "Hi" if you have caller ID and know that it is a friend of yours that is calling you up. Hi is basically the familiar form of Hello, which is more formal. It's like the difference between using tu and vous in French, except the standards aren't so strict. I say "hi" to professors I know in the hallway.
reyes10040@verizon.net   Saturday, November 01, 2003, 00:14 GMT
I am learning English, and I want to practice the pronunciation with someone who can help me how to get a good pronuntiation. I want to pronounce well the words, because there are a lot of jobs waitning for me.
I am a professional, and I know trhat if I learn how to speak fluently I am going to find an excellent job. I am waiting for your support in teach me in English.
Smith   Saturday, November 01, 2003, 01:40 GMT
What would happen if someone answered the phone with ''darn'' or ''shit'' or ''fuck''?
to Smith   Saturday, November 01, 2003, 07:21 GMT
Why don't you try it and see what happens?