Accent sample - Ashley

Miguel   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 18:48 GMT
I'm not maybe the right person to give my oppinion but definitely you are not american.
sima   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 19:42 GMT

I am not a native Engilsh speaking but for me the accent on the record if not Chinese can be Korean or Japenese or someting like that. Even if the person was born in the US, she still keeps the accent of her origins.
This accent is definitely not French.
Bastige   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 20:21 GMT
I think she definitely sounds American...she just reads like a third grader.
Ashley   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 20:56 GMT
i'm a native speaker of english god
Miguel   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 20:57 GMT
Yeah right!!
Ashley   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 22:10 GMT
I was born in the USA and have been growing up in the USA and I only speak english, and if you don't believe me that's your problem.
wingyellow   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 00:31 GMT
You pronounce something as someding. American.
Pentatonic   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 00:36 GMT
Hey Ashley, I think you sound great! Don't worry about people who can't understand you because you don't have a Chinese accent ;)

Wingyellow, why don't you send Tom a voice file so we can hear the proper pronunciation of TH? I'm sure I'm mispronouncing it as well.
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 00:45 GMT
hey thanks, finally someone believes me that I was born in the USA and that English is my native tongue, because it is.
Wingyellow   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 02:50 GMT
Could you tell me in which part of the United States people pronounce something as someding?

Even if you have been raised in this accent, you should have a TV set. And native speakers of English on TV do not speak like this.
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 02:51 GMT
I live in Minnesota, was born in Minnesota United States, my parents and I just speak English, why in the hell would I lie about where I live and what my native tongue is!
Wingyellow   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 03:07 GMT
If you are not lying, then you are very sad. You end up without speaking a recognised accent. Everyone will think that you are a foreigner. It is possible that your parents are not native speakers of English and pass on the accent to you. But I think you should have had a TV set or neighbours or classmates or teachers who should have told you to adjust the accent a bit to make you more accepted as the citizen of the United States.

We have this kind of program in Hong Kong.
Ryan   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 03:12 GMT
While other Americans think that Minnesotans have unusual accents, we know that they are not foreigners.

If I remember right, you didn't think I was American either, Wingyellow. I am coming to the conclusion that you are just ignorant about the way that Americans really speak.
Ashley   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 03:12 GMT
Wingyellow
If i didn't have an american accent, why in the hell wouldn't people say so? everybody else says I sound American, so just leave me alone
I'm Chinese   Thursday, November 13, 2003, 03:18 GMT
Ashley,

Your accent is same as my Filipino maid.