What do Brits think of American English?

mjd   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 00:03 GMT
Creepy?
wassabi   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 05:04 GMT
yes....well, i mean you know all this stuff, do you know about all the regulars here?
mjd   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 08:18 GMT
I usually have a pretty good memory.

Well, I'm not internet stalker nor am I interested in anyone's personal life beyond our discussion of English here on the forum...Didn't mean to creep you out.
mjd   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 08:20 GMT
*typo: "I'm not an....."
wassabi   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 21:18 GMT
ok, as long as the intentions are good.
Ashley   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 21:36 GMT
The Brits think the American Accent is nasally, not all, but some, it's the matter of opinion
Juan   Monday, November 24, 2003, 01:00 GMT
Hazardous Materials Data Sheet

Element: Woman

Symbol: Wo

Discoverer: Adam

Atomic Mass: Accepted as 55kg, but known to vary from 45kg to 225kg

Occurrence: Found in Large quantities in urban areas with trace elements in outlying regions

Physical Properties:

Surface normally covered with film of powder and paint. Boils at absolutely nothing, freezes for no apparent reason. Melts if given special treatment. Bitter if used incorrectly. Found in various grades ranging from virgin material to common ore. Yields to pressure if expertly applied.

Chemical Properties:

Affinity to gold, silver, platinum and all precious stones. Absorbs great quantities of expensive substances. Explodes spontaneously without reason or warning. Greatly increased activity with saturated with alcohol. The most powerful money reducing agent known to man.

Common Use:

Highly ornamental, especially in sports cars. Can be a great aid to relaxation. Can be a very effective cleaning agent.

Tests:

Pure specimens turn bright pink when found in their natural state. Turns green when placed alongside a superior specimen.

Hazards:

Highly dangerous except in experienced hands. Illegal to posses more than one, although several can be maintained at different locations as long as specimens do not come into direct contact with each other.

hehehehehe

Now that's funny :)
wassabi   Monday, November 24, 2003, 06:25 GMT
nice one.
Juan   Monday, November 24, 2003, 09:43 GMT
No, I'm not the author. I came across it during one of my classes. Its hilarious. I remember hearing this joke before but I had completely forgotten about it.
Womyn   Monday, November 24, 2003, 17:25 GMT
I fail to see the humor in your sexist post.
Juan   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 10:28 GMT
You dont have to be so politically correct...it's only a joke no one is taking it literally
Simon   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 10:38 GMT
Jokes like that are detrimental to our cause.
Juan   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 01:25 GMT
Uh???? What cause? And it's women not WOMYN. I'll check my spelling before criticising others if I were you.
Hear me roar   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 03:20 GMT
"Why do we spell Womyn with a Y???

In most languages womyn and men, as two sexes, are identified by two very separate words. English is one of the only languages which denotes the term for womyn as a derivative of the word "man". The "wo" in women comes from the Greek or Latin meaning "lesser". "Women - woman" is by traditional definition the "wife of man", "woe of man", "female-man" or "womb-man".

Many womyn have felt empowered by merely altering the spelling of an existing word to reflect womyn's autonomy. By changing "women" to "WOMYN," we have created a distinct word for our own sex. The word is still pronounced the same, yet has the power to be much more inclusive and empowering for all womyn. Another spelling used widely is "wimmin" which removed the "wo" as it is seen to represent "womb". This spelling is used by people who don't believe that womyn should be defined by their reproductive capability. "Womon" or "womun" are used as the singular."
Juan   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 07:57 GMT
Very interesting...feminism taken to its extreme.