What do Brits think of American English?

to Hear me roar   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 09:53 GMT

"Woman" comes from Old English Wífman meaning female person. "Man" was originally neuter (cf. German mensch) and the word for a guy/bloke was "Were".

The "wo" in woman certainly does not come from Greek or Latin. Who thought that one up?
For what it's worth   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 17:33 GMT
woman - from Old English compound wif-man(n), "wife-person," female (as opposed to wæpen-man(n), "weapon-person," male, with clear sexual overtones).
Hymen   Wednesday, November 26, 2003, 23:57 GMT
Womyn? That is the most stupid or naive thing I have ever heard of...
harold snodd   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 05:25 GMT
do wah ditty ditty dum ditty do. a-hem.
flaco martinez   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 05:27 GMT
what does spotted dick mean?
Clark   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 05:56 GMT
It is a pudding you eat (usually had in Britain).
Clark   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 10:03 GMT
Oh yeah, some Americans do not know that "pudding" is not that chocolate or vanilla "goo" you can get in little cups at the store. Pudding in Britain is more like a cake-type thing (usually rather delicious!).
Eastie   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 17:54 GMT
"Pudding in Britain is more like a cake-type thing "

British "pudding" doesn't necessarily have to be cake-like. They can be sausages, breaded pastries, or dishes filled with dates, raisins, currants, flour, nuts, almonds, suet, and minced meat. For instance, blood pudding, Yorkshire pudding, steak and kidney pudding, etc. Historically, puddings were made from anything left over (scraps) so that nothing was ever wasted.

But you're right. These aren't the kind of puddings most Americans are accustomed to, unless you're from the South.
Pudding   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 19:19 GMT
to Eastie
So basically is Pudding referred to the "from" of all the stuffs you mentioned above ?
sima   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 19:23 GMT
THere is a kind of pastry called 'pudding' you can buy in bakeries in France. It's like a cake made up different engredient and dried fruits.
Stu   Monday, December 01, 2003, 23:50 GMT
Where do I start, well firstly the misconception that all the English speak like Hugh Grant or as if we have all been educated at Oxford is right out, the english accent portrayed to you in the U.S is known as the Queen's English, it is used for these reasons 1. it is well anunciated 2. It is the dialect of english as used in the 'home counties' (the counties that surround london, surrey, hampshire, the richest and most powerful parts of england etc) the true London or 'Cockney' accent is very distinct and considered to be of a 'lower class'. Other regional dialects are very strong indeed and as different from the queens english as 'American English' (term invented by americans) is. the dialects we have are many and varied here are some.
Liverpool - Liverpudlian, scouser (irish influence)
Newcastle - Jordie - wy aye man! - fog on the tyne is allla mine alla mine!
Midlands/birmingham - brummie
Yorkshire - coal mining
Cornish + West Country - I cant read nor write, but i can drive a tractor'
London/Kent/Home counties - 'Landan tan - awight geeza etc
of course Scottish and Welsh have distinct accents (richard burton - scottie from starship Enterprise)

your next step is to get out the atlas lol

Gob bless all
melanie   Tuesday, December 02, 2003, 03:34 GMT
That little tidbit was interesting. I've only been around those from London, so haven't really heard too much of the other accents. The ovious Irish background is there, understanding the presence of the Celts in those areas. I'm an american too but I don't really mind the "nasally" voices really, so no worries.
Simon   Wednesday, December 03, 2003, 16:05 GMT

This purports to be a British dialect map. It is in fact an English (i.e. of England) dialect map. Britain is largely confined DE FACTO to England, mainly because of separatism and devolution in other areas. However, DE JURE Britain is the whole United Kingdom. Anyway it's really just a made up word with no strict legal/dicitonary definition. I prefer England when talking about... er, England OR United Kingdom talking about the whole country occupying 1 and a bit islands off the NW coast of the European mainland.
Nate 10 yrsold   Thursday, December 04, 2003, 01:23 GMT
American English is relaxed we won't even need to move our mouths alot while English English is pleasant but it is tiring I guess.....
A.S.C.M.   Thursday, December 04, 2003, 04:10 GMT
English English is not so tiring if you're used to it. Many languages, including German and Russian, are far more tiring, though I presume that their speakers would also say that they are accustomed to moving their mouths.