What do Yanks think of English English?

Simon   Friday, November 14, 2003, 12:28 GMT
Well?
Marie   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:48 GMT
I think it sounds snobbish.
Simon   Friday, November 14, 2003, 13:59 GMT
Do you think English people have a superior attitude?
Marie   Friday, November 14, 2003, 14:08 GMT
Yes, I do.They think they are better b/c they speak proper.
John   Friday, November 14, 2003, 14:13 GMT
Do you mean normal English people.
Have you been to England and spoken to them.
There are lots of different accents most of which do not sound posh to us.
Simon   Friday, November 14, 2003, 15:00 GMT
Why do I get the feeling we've had this conversation before...
Miguel   Friday, November 14, 2003, 18:18 GMT
I've been to england and their accent sound horrible to me, I prefer american accent, maybe because I'm used to watching american movies.
mjd   Friday, November 14, 2003, 18:25 GMT
The only accent that can sound "snobbish" is the RP accent. It tends to give off the feeling that one is educated and upper-class, but not always in a good way (I think this depends on the speaker).

I'm certainly not an expert on the wide variety of British accents. I have no problem with them. A wide variety of accents enriches the language.

It'd be interesting to hear some accent samples from some of the Britons on this forum.
mjd   Friday, November 14, 2003, 18:33 GMT
Just as a follow-up.....what I said isn't true for all RP speakers. One of my professors speaks with an RP accent (he said it's RP Manchester) and he's one of the nicest guys I know (he's also very smart, so the accent just reinforces it).
Jacob   Friday, November 14, 2003, 18:40 GMT
I find them enjoyable, mostly, some regionalisms are a bit annoying. I'm a mathematician, and anyone who starts out the Greek alphabet "alpher, beater, gammer, ..." sets my teeth on edge a bit.
Hythloday   Friday, November 14, 2003, 19:11 GMT
Why do all Yanks think that all British people know each other? The last time I was stateside I was asked where I came from. When I told the bloke that I come from the English Midlands, he asked me if I knew his brother who lives in London. This also applies to accents. All Yanks appear to think that all English accents sound the same. This is probably a good thing, though, because I have a Birmingham accent. In England, the Birmingham accent is the most heavily stigmatised variant, but when I go to the States I get treated like royalty. This proves that there is nothing inherently ugly about the Brummie accent, by the way. In my experience, the Yanks appear to think that anyone with an English accent is cultured, intelligent and well-mannered.
I'm a marcelito   Friday, November 14, 2003, 19:40 GMT
I think british english is awesome and american accent absolutely sucks.. Bush's accent is pittyful
Ryan   Friday, November 14, 2003, 20:38 GMT
British accents sound like they make more of an effort to pronounce words than in American accents. Speaking seems more precise. A lot of the vowels in British accents are drawn out more than they are in American accents. I like British accents for the most part, but I agree with Jacob in that the only thing that annoys me about them is when they add "r's" to the ends of words that shouldn't have "r's." Glottal stops can be slightly annoying as well when used excessively.

Bush's Texas drawl annoys me as well. As a resident of the midwestern US, I find that southern and New York/Boston accents annoy me more than do British accents by far.
mjd   Friday, November 14, 2003, 20:50 GMT
The one word where I always notice the "added r" on some British speakers is the word "idea" (they often pronounce it "idear").
Juan   Friday, November 14, 2003, 21:36 GMT
You are all referring to the intrusive r. I think that it applies to every word that ends with the schwa vowel. Non-rhotic (most standards) English introduces an r at the end of a word if the one after it starts with a vowel. Because in non-rhotic English they replace the "er" at the end of words with the "schwa" this is crept into words that don't end with "er" but with the "schwa" itself. They claim it's something to do with sounding "better" and I have to admit they have a point. I've listened how Americans pronounce "I SAW IT". Now, im my opinion when Americans say "SAW IT" it sound like one word sort of like SOIT. Non-rhotic forms reinforce that they are two separate words by introducing an r so it sounds like "SORE IT". I agree that is is strange but there is logic in madness sometimes.