VCR player

A.S.C.M.   Saturday, December 27, 2003, 19:28 GMT
Some family friends from Asia came over and called the VCR a "video machine".
VCR   Sunday, December 28, 2003, 01:41 GMT
I call all VCRs ''VCRs'' even if they don't record.
mike   Wednesday, December 31, 2003, 12:28 GMT
I have an idea then. Why don't we write some kind of petition to some linguistics board in the U.S or U.K to introduce a new word for a device that doesn't record. We could argue that in order to make our reality more logical we should start from language.
VCR   Wednesday, December 31, 2003, 14:48 GMT
How about we just call a VCR that doesn't record an ''el-cheapo-breako'', similar to the name of the kind of car. No, why don't they just stop making VCRs that don't record.
DVD   Friday, January 02, 2004, 02:47 GMT
Also, What does the acronym ''DVD'' really stand for? Does it stand for ''digital video disc'' or ''digital versatile disc''?
Alice   Friday, January 02, 2004, 04:38 GMT
I don't think non-recording VCRs are made anymore, and DVD stands for "digital video disc".
Eastie   Friday, January 02, 2004, 08:18 GMT
DVD originally stood for "digital versatile disc." My father worked in consumer electronics back in the early '90s, and he would rave about a new invention called "digital versatile disc" that would "revolutionize the home video and computer software market."

Most people assume DVD stands for "digital video disc," and now it's become the commonly accepted definition.
DVD   Friday, January 02, 2004, 14:45 GMT
All new computers have a DVD-ROM drive. Floppy disks are dying out.