VCR player

mike   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 17:15 GMT
I have a questions to native speakers. Since everyone knows what a video recorder is I don't have to remind you that it is a machine used to record things from e.g. TV. But there also exists a machine that does not have the recording capability and by means of which you can only watch films on video casettes. Now I was wandering if the latter machine is also called a video recorder or maybe a video player. In a word, does the term - video player - exists in English or not. Thanks a lot.
Richard   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 17:48 GMT
I think even if I couldn't record on my VCR I'd still call it a videocassette ''recorder'' [VCR]. I've never heard the term ''videocassette player'' or ''video player''.
Richard   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 17:49 GMT
I mean I don't think ''I would''.
Richard   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 17:50 GMT
Not, ''I don't think I would.'' ''I would.''
Lynne Hand   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 18:23 GMT
The term video player certainly exists in English. I think you'll find that a video player is something like Real player - you cannot record with it, you can only play videos and mpegs etc...

A video recorder is definitely a machine that you can both play and record on. Personally if I bought a video recorder that didn't record I would send it back!

I hope this helps.

mike   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 18:23 GMT
But is there a device that is used for watching only?
Bob   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 18:25 GMT
It is called a television set, mike.
Richard   Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 18:47 GMT
Some VCRs can only ''play'' videos. My VCR can, but even if it couldn't I'd still call it a videocassette ''recorder'' [VCR]. I've never called my VCR a ''video player''. Yeah, Only the cheap VCRs don't record. I wouldn't buy a VCR that didn't record.
mike   Thursday, December 18, 2003, 17:21 GMT
But is it logical to call a machine recorder even though it cannot actually record? And , Lynne, is the video player you are writing about a real machine you can get in a shop or is it software?
mjd   Thursday, December 18, 2003, 22:31 GMT
I think she's talking about the software. A VCR is a video cassette recorder. In other words, it can play and record. A video player simply plays videos (not necessarily cassettes). So my Real Player on my computer can play videos, but it is not a VCR.
Richard   Thursday, December 18, 2003, 23:17 GMT
Oh, I got ''video player'' and ''VCR'' confused. They are two different things.
Pentatonic   Monday, December 22, 2003, 18:33 GMT
Yes mike, I have actually seen a "video player". This was many years ago before VCRs were so common and inexpensive.
mike   Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 11:17 GMT

Was the machine commonly known as a 'video player' and if so is the name still being used in the U.K or the U.S?
Richard   Wednesday, December 24, 2003, 13:30 GMT
The most common term for something you play videotapes in in the U.S.A is ''VCR''.
Pentatonic   Saturday, December 27, 2003, 16:40 GMT
Hi Mike,

It's been probably 20+ years since I saw that so I can't remember if it was called "video player" or "video cassette player". While it is correct that most such devices nowadays are called VCRs, (almost) all of them record. A company could not legally sell something called a VCR that doesn't record.

In my opinion you are correct to call a player that doesn't record a "video player", and to me it doesn't sound odd. Most people would quickly call it a VCR but they would also be surprised to know that it doesn't record since such devices are uncommon.