Differences between American & British English

chantal   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 08:02 GMT
Sorry Mcnight, I don't know much about different dialects in England.

Jim, we can say that Australian English uses both American and British words.
chantal   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 08:52 GMT
there are also these words :

British / American
tin / can
cupboard / closet
biscuit / cookie
chemist / druggist
motorway / freeway
dustbain / garbage can
holiday / vacation
McNight   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 13:52 GMT
dustbain / garbage can

Dustbin has been replaced by rubbishbin.
sue   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 14:58 GMT
British / American
foetus / fetus
Bacondue   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 15:47 GMT
Apartment - Flat/Apartment
Billfold - Wallet
Can - Tin/Can
Cellphone - Mobilephone
Collect Call - Reverse Call
Cookie - Biscuit (Biscuits with chocolate chips are called Cookies)
Druggist - Chemist/Pharmacy
Fall - Autumn
Faucet - Tap
Football - American Football
Freeway - Motorway
French Fries - Chips
Garbage - Rubbish
Garbage can - Rubbishbin/Dustbin
Hood - Bonnet
Jello - Jelly
Jelly - Jam
Parking lot - Car Park
Soccer - Football (soccer)
Soda/Pop - Lemonade/Pop
Restroom - Public Toilet
Round-Trip - Return Ticket
Sidewalk - Footpath/Pavement
To call - To ring (to call in England normally means to knock on someones door)
Telephone Poll - Telegraph Poll
Traffic Circle - Roundabout
Trailer - Caravan
Trailer Park - Caravan Park / Home Park
Trash - Rubbish
Truck (small) - Truck
Trucl (large) - Lorry
Trunk - Boot
Zip Code - Post Code/Postal Code
200th POST   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 15:53 GMT
Realize - Realise
Surprise - Surprise
Organize - Organise
Surmise - Surmise
Theorize - Theorise
Excercise - Excercise
Specialize - Specialise
Revise - Revise
Civilize - Civilise
Enterprise - Enterprise
Idolize - Idolise
Wise - Wise
Communize - Communise
Prize - Prize
Compromise - Compromise
Demonize - Demonise
Fisher   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 17:04 GMT
Once in the US I've heard people say "bad" about a definitely "good" thing. Like, saying "You are bad!" and smiling to a team-mate who have just scored.
Fisher   Wednesday, June 18, 2003, 17:07 GMT
"...who has..."
Jim   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 00:32 GMT

What you could say is this. Most of the words used in Australian English are common to all dialects. Many of them are used in British English but not American English. Some of them are unique to Australian and New Zealand English. Some of them are unique to Australian English only. A few of them are used in American English but not British English. Australian English is different to both British and American English but closer to Britsh English.


I know what you're getting at. I never intended to be making a blanket statement. However, there are many aspects of what you might call Commonwealth English attributed to British English. Spelling, for example, basically, American spelling is the standard only in the USA; yet, even though it's used everywhere else (where English is an official language), the alternative is called "British spelling". "Commonwealth spelling" or even "international spelling" would be a better description. A similar thing could be said for pronunciation, except for the fact that Canadian accents are closer to American ones than British ones.
Clark   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 04:54 GMT
Jim, I think calling it "Commonwealth English" is the best name as it implies most countries that speak English (and the ones not in the Commonwealth [is this one word or two?] now, were in the past).

So, there are two written types of English; Commonwealth and American.
Clark   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 05:29 GMT
Tulip, "qwerty" are the first letters going from right to left on the English-language keyboard.
Jim   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 05:35 GMT

Yeah, you agree. Of course, there is the problem that Canada is a Commonwealth (it's one word) country but, although they tend to spell like the rest of us, their vocabulary and accent are closer to American, sure you wrote "written English" but vocab' comes into that.
Clark   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 05:57 GMT
Well, yes. However, most of the words in the English language are used by everyone, or are known by everyone who speaks English. Just because I do not use "knickers" in everyday speach does not mean that I would spell it differently (do you see what I am getting at?).
Jim   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 06:57 GMT
Do you mean "nikkaz" ... :) ?

I reckon I get your point.
Caledonian Scot   Thursday, June 19, 2003, 10:47 GMT
well the yanks are pretty cool, their accent is ok. the english is completely homosexual. but the scottish dialect and accent rocks.

aye/ yes
mon wi is/ come with me
am choking fir a pint/ im desperate for a beer
nae danger/ ok
breeks/ trousers
hame/ house
aipil/ apple
oxsters/ armpits
glesgae kiss/ punch in the face
bairns/ children
och aye the noo/ its ok just now (no scottish person actually says this it is just stereotypical)
beastee/ bug
the list is endless but loads of peeps luv the scottish accent

OCH AYE THE NOO!!!!!!!!!!!!