Native speakers, How can I get an American accent?

Patrick   Monday, March 15, 2004, 11:58 GMT
For those interested in learning the American accent, believe it or not, you have to practise each letter aside and study how it comes out of your mouth as well as the body tongue position, the tongue tip position. You'll find it hard at the beginning but after a while your jaw and muscles adapt and once that happens your pronunciation and accent will become natural. That's the only way to do it if you do care to sound like a native speaker. Some people don't. Well I do. Depends on your character whether you're perfectionist or not. Read aloud as much as possible 'coz the more you hear it the faster you get used to it. Now don't think after you finish this stage that your problems will finish 'coz the other thing you have to practise is slang in both aspects, vocab and accent. You have to train yourself how to link words with each other. Take the last three words in the previous centre, "with each other", this' how it's spoken "wideach chother", or take the beginning of this message "for those interested in learning the american accent", when spoken, "for dose zinterested din learning de yamerican naccent.

PS: Sometimes "th" is not pronounced "d", except in New Orleans, it always is.

When you start doing that you'll falter a lot, but you'll get there eventually and when you do, damn it feels great!!!!
Kamal   Wednesday, March 17, 2004, 18:45 GMT
If ur an indian... And have a neutral accent join any call centre in india having a american process....or just go to americanaccent.com...but the end totally depends on ur hardwork and virtue to succeed in it...

best of luck guys...
Ehrn   Thursday, March 18, 2004, 17:30 GMT
Find and actor/actress you like and try to pick up his or her accent
HongKonger   Thursday, March 18, 2004, 22:00 GMT
http://www.uiowa.edu/%7Eacadtech/phonetics/about.html#

Try this website....you may find it helpful
Yaseen   Friday, March 19, 2004, 21:46 GMT
Trying the interestin way out.....live movies, eat movies, sleep movies. Then....you'll develop the American accent
Adam   Saturday, March 20, 2004, 00:30 GMT
Unless you are watching non-American movies.
Rivor   Monday, March 22, 2004, 13:16 GMT
Hi,

I have just found this site and have spent the last hour or so reading from last year to date.
Maybe you don't know it but it is the most interesting forum on the web.
I'm not joking. I came across it trying to find English spoken with a Dutch accent (I'm a writer and needed to describe it).

So far I have downloaded Julian - California for my files, Tom (where does Tom live? What accent has he picked up) and someone sent me scurrying off to find an MP3 of Hilary Clinton for an educated northener.
Can someone please from the Mid West - I think you said Mid West was the best - record an MP3 with a Mid West Accent.

Also Boston accent has always intrigued me. They always speak about JFK and his Boston drawl but when I listen to his voice I can't hear anything really pronounced.

This is a GREAT site.

Thank you one and all.
small devil   Thursday, March 25, 2004, 10:07 GMT
Idon't lik americn accent cause it try to break the lunguage
the most important is how to speak
Chilli   Thursday, March 25, 2004, 15:13 GMT
Ummm... what do you mean by "try to break the lunguage"?
Ryan   Friday, March 26, 2004, 07:10 GMT
Tom basically talks with a midwestern accent, although he's not a midwesterner. The standard California accent is not much different from the midwestern accent, the only main difference being the merger of the vowel sounds in words like "cot" and "caught." Actually, people on television sound more like they are from California now than they do from the Midwest, as we midwesterners do some strange shiftings to our vowels sometimes... (making "cat" sound like "key-at," for instance)

Also, it's important to distinguish what you mean by "Midwest." Missouri and Kansas are considered "midwest," but much of the population in these states does not speak with a "standard" accent but more like a "farm" sounding one.
Marie   Friday, March 26, 2004, 13:11 GMT
I wish I had some type of accent.I was born and raised in America yet I don't have an american accent
Chilli   Friday, March 26, 2004, 17:58 GMT
Marie, everyone has an accent, to everyone else. Think about it. If you had absolutely no accent then your way of speaking would be the most neutral and the absolute benchmark of normal or perfect. That would mean everyone else on the entire planet was deviating from your standard. It's a bit similar to thinking that earth is the center of the universe and everything else revolves around it.

So assuming that you're not the one standard, neutral speaker, and that the universe is still heliocentric, you have an accent, and I bet if anyone from a different country listened to you they would pick it up instantly.
Marie   Friday, March 26, 2004, 18:43 GMT
So being born and raised in America do u think if I went to another country and spoke they would know I was from America?
Chilli   Friday, March 26, 2004, 19:39 GMT
I would be willing to bet on it.
sara   Saturday, March 27, 2004, 17:50 GMT
Accent is not a bad thing, however sometime in some places where there are still the existence of discrimation, people from different countries and cultural may feel that if they can speak English in American accent, they would feel lot better. But thats not true. As long as you speak english and make people understand, its okay to have an accent. Those people's mentality never changes. And as far as learning is concern, no matter how old you are, if you are devoted to learn, there is not anything you can't do.