marmalade / jam

montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 20:44 GMT
i participated in an english contest last monday.i won the english contest although i made one mistake. the question i answered wrong was:
marmalade ...............jam

a)is the same as
b)is not the same
c)is different from

i was a bit confused because as far as i know marmalade and jam are the same but marmalade is made from orange, grapefruit or other citric fruits
and jam is usually made from strawberry, raspberry. I didn't know whether to mark a , b . So I marked alternative a.The teacher who checked the test told me that i was wrong, that marmalade is NOT the same as jam.
becuase marmalade means "mermelada" and jam means "jamon".I disagreed with her because the right english word for jamon is ham. So I told her that she was not right.that she was confusing the word jam with the word ham, and that i was totally right.At last I couldn't get her to change her mind.
that's why i ' m writing this message. i hope that other people will agrre with me.
Eastie   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 22:35 GMT
That question was tricky. Though marmalade and jam are both preserves made from fruit, technically, they're not the same thing. However, not too many people know what the difference is and would consider them synonymous.

Jam is most definitely not jamón, so your teacher was wrong in her explanation.

Anyway, what's the difference between answer b and c?
montoya   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 22:59 GMT
i think there's no difference between answer b and c.that made the question more tricky.
Jim   Sunday, February 01, 2004, 23:49 GMT
A) Marmalade is the same as jam.

This is wrong because marmalade and jam are different things. They are similar but not identical. Marmalade is made of citrus fruit and jam is made of other kinds of fruit. There are other kinds of jam besides strawberry and raspberry, e.g., blueberry jam is quite popular too.

B) Marmalade is not the same jam.

This is wrong because the sentence is grammatically incorrect (if I may be permitted to use such a phrase). The correct sentence would be B*.

B*) Marmalade is not the same as jam.

C) Marmalade is different from jam.

This is correct and means the same thing as B*.

Here are some definitions got from the Cambridge Dictionary (click on the links).

marmalade [Show phonetics]
noun [U]
a soft substance with a sweet but slightly bitter taste, made by cooking fruit such as oranges with sugar to preserve it. It is eaten on bread, usually for breakfast.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=48920&dict=CALD

jam (FOOD) [Show phonetics]
noun [C or U] (US ALSO jelly)
a sweet soft food made by cooking fruit with sugar to preserve it. It is eaten on bread or cakes:
strawberry/raspberry jam
jam sandwiches

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=42417&dict=CALD
montoya   Monday, February 02, 2004, 02:49 GMT
thank you jim and eastie for your answers.if I have other questions . I hope you'll clear me out
Jim   Monday, February 02, 2004, 03:51 GMT
I hope we don't clear you out. Again from the same dictionary:

clear sth out (TIDY) phrasal verb [M]
to tidy a place by getting rid of things that you do not want:
If we clear out the spare room, you can use it as a study.

http://www.dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=96830&dict=CALD

Perhaps you're hoping that we clear things up for you.
montoya   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 00:46 GMT
lol lol lol
montoya   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 01:04 GMT
I meant to write clear up NOT clear out. sorry
Alice   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 01:20 GMT
I'm curious about the pronunciation of "marmalade". Is it more common for the last syllable to rhyme with "laid" or with "laud"? I generally opt for the latter, but have actually been corrected for both pronunciations. Any thoughts?
hot boy   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 01:54 GMT
I disagree, I think it's more common for the last syllable to rhyme with laid. not laud
quicksilver   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 02:31 GMT
I agree with hot boy; a pronuciation rhyming with "laud", except slightly closer to an "ah" sound may be used in the United Kingdom, but in American English, a pronunciation which rhymes with "laid" is more common.

Oh, by the way, I believe that marmelaide is strained through thin fabric, making it more like jelly, while jam is made with the crushed fruit inside. However, I may be wrong, since I don't create condiments for a living.
Jim   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 04:45 GMT
Yeah, like "laid".
Simon   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 13:19 GMT
Quicksilver, no. NO ONE in the United Kingdom pronounces the final syllable differently to LAID.
hot boy   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 21:56 GMT
quicksilver, jam is the same as jelly. the former is used in uk and the lattter is used in us.
Eastie   Tuesday, February 03, 2004, 23:21 GMT
jam and jelly are not the same thing...and both words are used in the US.

"Jelly is made from fruit juice and jam is made from boiled fruit. As a result, jam has pieces of fruits and jelly does not."

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view.php/2505