Are you offended by this passage?

Jordi:   Friday, February 06, 2004, 10:16 GMT
Guilhem:
Aquò es per tu e escrich en occitàn la bela lenga sòrre que aprenguèri a terras de Provença e de Lengadoc, a las Universitats Occitanas d'Estiu. T'asseguri que mon filh ha nom de Guillem perquè son paire (ieu) amavi los verses de Guilhem de Berguedan e Guilhem de Cabestany o lo comte Guilhèm de Peitieu. I ieu escriguèri verses trobadorescs a ma femna durant lo nostre prometatge. Come lo teu grand i soi un home encara jove! E ma filha ha nom de Beatriu, per la Divina Comèdia del Dante on tamben trobaràs uns verses occitans en boca del gran trobador Arnau Daniel.
And to my friend Nicolas from Nîmes, there surely are many ways to be French without making people forget their language and all their cultural heritage. Usually, in Europe at least, the people who speak most foreign languages are native speakers of languages spoken by not so many people. Think in the Dutch, the Scandinavian, people from Central European countries. Educated people from these countries usually speak 3/4 languages fluently although they feel specially proud about their own. In Spain, a survey found out --we already knew, of course-- that the most fluent foreign language speakers were to be found in the Catalan Countries, Basque Country or Galicia. Meanwhile, many Spaniards, French or English-speaking people (this isn't the case of those who post to this forum) feel they have more than enough with their "National" tongue. The English speak French terribly but the French often speak terrible English, and I don't mean accent I just mean good language level. If you go to the smaller "hidden" European nations things seem to change. It must be a matter of a mind that has been trained in a couple of languages from early childhood and of not having any imperialistic feeling over the world we live in.
Nico to Jordi   Friday, February 06, 2004, 11:42 GMT
You can still write to me in occitan, that's interesting. Of course you can be proud of your native language. I am proud of mine as i am proud of being from the south. But i don't like these kind of guys who are proud and.....racist (I know it's not your case). I think it's important to not being mixed with that kind of people.
Adam   Monday, February 09, 2004, 00:21 GMT
"Easy plurals — simply add s to a word. One car, five cars; one telephone, two telephones... There are very few exceptions"

I don't agree with what the author has said, and I can't believe nobody has noticed it. In English, there are lots of words that don't just add "s" to make it a plural. Some words add "es" and some add "ies".

Words that end in "x" add "es" to make it plural-

e.g. Tax- Taxes
Fox- Foxes

Words that end in "Y" lose the "Y" and add "ies" to make it plural-

e.g. Lorry- Lorries

So when the author said that you just add "s" to English words to make them plural is wrong.
Alice   Monday, February 09, 2004, 05:09 GMT
I think Adam is right. I was going to comment on it earlier, but got distracted by something it seems. I don't know all that much about it, but I recall my German teacher saying that, complicated though it is, the German system of pluralization is actually much more straightforward than the English system.

Some other examples of complicated English pluralization are words like "fish" and "moose", which stay excactly the same. Or words with Latin roots, like "syllabus" for example, which becomes "syllabi". Also, unpredictable words like "man" to "men" & "child" to "children". I'm sure there are more examples, but this is all I can think of at the moment.
Jim   Monday, February 09, 2004, 07:04 GMT
index - indices
appendix - appendices
Change the "x" to "c" and add "-es".

die - dice
louse - lice
mouse - mice
elf - elves
self - selves
shelf -shelves
radius - radii
phenomenon - phenomena
goose - geese
foot - feet
tooth - teeth
ox - oxen
criterion - criteria
formula - formulae
antenna - antennae
datum - data
person - people ("persons" in certain formal or legal contexts)
analysis - analyses
axis - axes
basis - bases
crisis - crises
diagnosis - diagnoses
emphasis - emphases
hypothesis - hypotheses
neurosis - neuroses
oasis - oases
octopus - octopodes/octopi/octopuses

Go for "octopodes" if you're pedantic and "octopi" if you're naïve otherwise go with "octopuses".
Lou   Sunday, February 15, 2004, 18:30 GMT
Jordi, I really liked your post. My sentiments exactly.