Caught and cot

Dr. Dictionary   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 04:50 GMT
Do you pronounce ''caught'' and ''cot'' the same? I do [ka:t].
jarec   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 09:05 GMT
No, I say
caught /ko:t/
cot /kot/
mjd   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 11:14 GMT
No.
Shogo   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 13:34 GMT
speaking vowels, how which of the following are pronounced with same vowels and which aren't in your accent?

1. past /p@st|pa:st/
2. palm /pa:m/
3. pom /pom/
4. bought /bo:t/
5. port /po:rt|po:t/
Shogo   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 15:03 GMT
typo.
wrong: ...how which of the...
i meant to say "which of the..."
Steve   Sunday, March 07, 2004, 19:04 GMT
My pronunciation of these words.

past [p@st]
palm [pa:m]
pom [pa:m]
bought [ba:t]
port [po:rt]
Ginny Weasley   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 03:19 GMT
I pronounce 'caught' and 'cot' the same. I've heard that Americans mean something different when they say 'cot'.
mjd   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 03:24 GMT
Here in the Northeast we pronounce them differently.
Shogo   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 14:26 GMT
Steve, thanks for your answer... so are words "balm" and "bom" exactly the same in your accent??

to everyone... do you think we, as ESL learners, should make a distinction between the "ah" sound and "aw" sound? For those who differenciate these sounds, do you understand it if someone doesnt make a distinction between these sounds? does it sound strange if I dont make a distinction?
Steve   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 00:56 GMT
Yes, the words ''balm'' and ''bomb'' {and I think you mean ''bomb'' not ''bom'' are pronounced the same in my accent. I think most Americans are used to the fact the some people don't make a distinction between the ''ah'' and the ''aw'' sound and can understand you if you don't make the distinction.
Steve   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 01:01 GMT
Sometimes when Britons say ''party'' the Americans think they are saying ''potty''.
mjd   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 01:34 GMT
But we usually just adjust our ears when we're speaking with a Briton, Australian, etc. as we do for the various American accents. I can't see anyone making this mistake if they're aware of who they're speaking to.
Alice   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 04:32 GMT
As to "palm" and "balm", am I the only one who pronounces the "l" in these words? I've heard them pronounced without, but I wasn't aware that that was the primary pronunciation. For me, both "palm", "balm", and "calm" as well, have a distinct "l" sound. Any thoughts?
Bella   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 05:40 GMT
Here's what dictionary.com says:

palm - (päm)
balm - (bäm)
Shogo   Wednesday, March 10, 2004, 09:55 GMT
Steve, how about the following words?

draw
drawer
drawing

for some reason the word "drawer" sounds like it rhymes with "war"(i mean to me it sounds like /dro:r/) is it supposed to be pronounced (or do you pronounce it) like /dra:r/ if the word draw is pronounced /dra:/?

Alice, how about words like "talk" and "walk"? Do you pronounce the l's in these words too?

Once when this american guy, a british guy and I were talking, the word "hotter" said by the American guy apparently sounded like "harder" to the british ear and the conversation was really confusing to me... its something similar to "potty" and "party", i guess.

mjd, it's interesting that you native speakers can adjust your ears according to the person you're talking to. that's the kind of skill