the Intrusive R is messed up and weird

Jim   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 23:52 GMT
A case for an intrusive /j/ in the word "education"? I think not. All I reckon that is is the letter "u" getting pronounced (by some speakers) as /ju:/ as it is in the words "cute", "mute", "ute", etc.

As mjd has explained, the intrusive /r/ is neither messed up nor weird but is simply a feature of certain accents; the Aussie, the Kiwi and the South African accents being more examples.

Here are some places you might find an intrusive /j/:

"be angry" /bi:j@Ngri(:)/
"sea urchin" /si:je:(r)tS.n/

... and an intrusive /w/:

"go in" /gOuwin/
"go abroad" /gOuw..bro:d/
"you arsehole" /ju:wa:(r)shOul/
"two apples" /tu:w@p.lz/
Intrusive R   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 00:35 GMT
The intrusive R is messed up and weird because when people use it they're throwing in an ''r'' that's not there in writing. You don't write ''law ran order'' for ''law and order''. Wouldn't it look crazy if the Britons started writing all the ''r's'' that they threw in. It does sound anymore crazy than it would look if someone wrote all the r's that they through in. There's no ''r'' there so it sounds crazy to throw one in. It's ''law and order'' not ''law ran order''.
Jim   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 00:58 GMT
It's just our accent. Nothing extra is being thrown in. I'm not getting about calling your accent "messed up and weird". I say [lo:r@ndo:d..] & you might say [lo:@ndo:rd..r] or [la:@nda:rd..r]. To me it sounds as if you're throwing in two /r/s that don't belong.

You'll turn about and point to spelling but do you pronounce the "o" in "people", the "w" in "writing", the "l" in "would", the "gh" in "through", etc.? Pronunciation and spelling are two different things. You'll be making a huge leap forward in your understanding of the language when you begin to perceive the distinction.
Intrusive   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 01:07 GMT
Quote-you might say [lo:@ndo:rd..r] or [la:@nda:rd..r]. I don't say either of those. I say [la:@ndo:rd..r]. No one says [la:@nda:rd..r]. Quote-''To me it sounds as if you're throwing in two /r/s that don't belong.'' I not throwing in two r's that don't belong because they're there so I can't throw them in because they are there in the spelling. it's not spelled ''law ran awder''.

Yeah, I don't pronounce the "o" in "people", the "w" in "writing", the "l" in "would", the "gh" in "through'' etc. But I can't think of anything that I throw in that's not present in the spelling. I pronounce the ''r'' in ''order'' because it's there. I don't say ''law ran order'' because there's no ''r'' in ''law and order''. It sounds just as crazy saying them as it looks writing them down. How many times do Britons and South Africans write ''law ran order''? Never.
Intrusive   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 01:10 GMT
Why don't Britons write down all the ''r's'' that they throw in in speech.
Jim   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 01:22 GMT
You say [la:@ndo:rd..r].

Yeah, that's why I wrote "might". How was I to have guessed your accent? My point is still the same.

Spelling and accent are not the same thing. People spell things how they are spelt and pronounce them how they are pronounced there isn't nor need there be a one-to-one correspondance between the two.
Intrusive   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 01:34 GMT
I pronounce the ''r'' in ''order'' because it's there and I don't throw an ''r'' in ''law and order'' because there's not one there. When people use the intrusive ''r'' it sounds like they're drunk or something.
Intrusive   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 02:40 GMT
It's weird how Britons always say they speak so proper and Americans speak so wrong when it's them that throw in ''r's'' where they don't belong. What's so proper about that?
Intrusive   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 02:42 GMT
if an intrusive belonged after the ''law'' and before the ''order'' it would be there in writing but it's not and it never was.
Juan   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 04:14 GMT
No one likes us
I don't know why.
We may not be perfect
But heaven knows we try.
But all around even our old friends put us down.
Let's drop the big one and see what happens.

We give them money
But are they grateful?
No they're spiteful
And they're hateful.
They don't respect us so let's surprise them;
We'll drop the big one and pulverize them.

Now Asia's crowded
And Europe's too old.
Africa's far too hot,
And Canada's too cold.
And South America stole our name.
Let's drop the big one; there'll be no one left to blame us.

Bridge:
We'll save Australia;
Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo.
We'll build an all-American amusement park there;
They've got surfing, too.

Well, boom goes London,
And boom Paris.
More room for you
And more room for me.
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town.
Oh, how peaceful it'll be;
We'll set everybody free;
You'll have Japanese kimonos, baby,
There'll be Italian shoes for me.
They all hate us anyhow,
So let's drop the big one now.
Let's drop the big one now.
Elaine   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 07:20 GMT
Is there a point to your posting these lyrics on this board? That's a song Randy Newman wrote in the early '70s ("Political Science") back when the Vietnam War was in full swing. I hope nobody thinks he was being serious with those sentiments. It's meant to be ironic.

(Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if all the Bushies sing this song to lull their children to sleep.)
Juan   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 09:21 GMT
No reason. That fellow writes a lot of funny lyrics and I quite enjoy'em.
Juan   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 09:28 GMT
In America you'll get food to eat
Won't have to run through the jungle
And scuff up your feet
You'll just sing about Jesus and drink wine all day
It's great to be an American

Ain't no lions or tigers ain't no mamba snake
Just the sweet watermelon and the buckwheat cake
Ev'rybody is as happy as a man can be
Climb aboard little wog sail away with me

CHORUS
Sail away sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay
Sail away-sail away
We will cross the mighty ocean into Charleston Bay

In America every man is free
To take care of his home and his family
You'll be as happy as a monkey in a monkey tree
You're all gonna be an American

You have to admit, there is always an element of truth in satire.
Antonio   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 13:07 GMT
The really interesting thing about these intrusive phonemes, is that I hardly ever pronounce the r´s, but I insert some where they, in a first instance, shouldn´t be; and the same happens with one or two L´s. w´s and j´s appear where they are not written. It sounds great to me.
Simon   Thursday, April 08, 2004, 13:13 GMT
I think I speak for us all when I say leave our R's alone. Tee hee.