the Intrusive R is messed up and weird

Intrusive R   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 23:29 GMT
Law and order. California and Delaware. Do you see an r in the middle word. No. Why add an r that's not there. Why pronounce an r when there's no r there. The intrusive r just makes everything sound messed up. ''law ran order'' just sounds very weird.
Caesar   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 01:01 GMT
If somebody says "law ran order" he(she) either is drunk or does not speak English the right way.
mjd   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 01:29 GMT
The intrusive R is a characteristic of some British and American accents. It's the way they speak. Who are we to correct them?

To the author of this thread,

Don't you and I say "gonna" and "wanna" sometimes? "Going to" isn't "gonna," but we say stuff like this all the time. The English language is diverse...instead of trying to correct people all the time (you continuously do so on this forum...your various aliases fool no one), learn to appreciate the differences.
Juan   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 02:16 GMT
I think is prestigious.
Juan   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 02:29 GMT
The British have stated that anyone that does not have the linking r in their speech, speaks English as their second language. I do my best to include the intrusive r in my speech so that I am not pigeonholed.

http://www.ling.lancs.ac.uk/chimp/101/phonetics/r1.htm

<<This phenomenon is known as intrusive r, and because there is no "r" in the spelling of these words. It is often frowned on by school teachers and others as being "incorrect". The use of intrusive r is so automatic that speakers are usually unaware of it. Generally, if a speaker with a south-eastern accent fails to use the intrusive [r], especially after words like idea or Canberra then it is likely that he/she learnt English as a second language. >>
mjd   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 03:07 GMT
When a Briton says it, it doesn't sound odd, but here in the U.S. it can often sound "uneducated" (there are some American accents where the intrusive R is present as well). This is all a question of what dialect one speaks, so the question as to whether it is correct or not doesn't really pertain.
Simon   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 08:40 GMT
I think we should also be clear that the "and" unstressed so it doesn't sound like "ran". If the "and" is stressed, there is no intrusive r.
Chilli   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 13:28 GMT
>> but here in the U.S. it can often sound "uneducated"

I didn't know that. Which American accents is it present in?
mjd   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 16:52 GMT
Sometimes the "redneck" southern accent, NYC accent and some upstate NY accents too (If one watches the show "American Choppers," the elder Tuttle says "idear" often). There are probably more, but I'm just not sure.
Ben   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 18:07 GMT
I've never heard it in a Southern Accent, but you'll hear it alot in New York City and New England (it's just a carry-over from the days when those areas were dominated by the Brits).
Danger Mouse   Thursday, April 01, 2004, 21:59 GMT
What about 'I'm going t'toilet?'

Is that the intrusice T?
Antonio   Monday, April 05, 2004, 12:54 GMT
People say a lot about the intrusive ´r´, but what about the ´intrusive L,W and J´ ?

I don´t believe that we have an intrusive ´t ´, but normally I use an ´l´ and sometimes a ´w´ where there is none. The problem is that a can´t cite an example right now, it just happens when I´m speaking, and then I notice I´m doing it.
It is not a ´full´L, but almost. reading a passage: "(...) of the nominal money stock int<schwa>´L<schwa>quality" (into equality )
Intrusive J   Monday, April 05, 2004, 19:23 GMT
How can there be an intrusive ''J''.
Antonio   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 12:10 GMT
because the ´j´ is the ´yod´sound.

No-one??
mjd   Wednesday, April 07, 2004, 18:37 GMT
I think there could be a case for it in the word "education."