Learning French with French Movies -need help for finding texts

Phil   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 10:00 GMT
Hi,
I have learned english by reading Sherlock Holmes books and this methot worked very well for me. Though I havent taken any english lessons and my forein language was german in school, these days my english is much better than my german. I like to improve my vocabulary with a way I like before starting studying any grammer.

Now I wanna try learning french with a movie. What I need is the full text of the dialogues of a good french movie. Finding the movie itself is no problem and its not important wich movie it is. I like the sounds in french language. Has anyone any idea where to look for the texts.

thanks,
Phil
...   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 10:11 GMT
Just buy a French DVD: sometimes you can find subtitles in French for deaf people! The best French movies I know are "Amelie", "Les choristes" and "Effroyables jardins". French movies like "The fifth element" or "Alien IV" aren't bad but they are not typically French.
ricky   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 10:30 GMT
don't waste your time, keep learning english. french is useless
Juan   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 10:44 GMT
Hey!

<<don't waste your time, keep learning english. french is useless>>

Shut your.... Learning any language is not useless you ....
Phil   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 11:26 GMT
ricky,
thanks for your suggestion but I would love to read poets like Rimbaud and Baudelaire from thier own languagle. Even only for this aim it would be worth learning french I think. Also I'm moving soon to UK and I will improve my english anyway.

I never thought about deaf movies. It will be even better having the texts on the screen. I will make a search for this. Thanks for the suggestion whoever it was.
ricky   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 11:44 GMT
hey Phil, tell me...will you earn more money by reading Rimbaud? Would that make your life better? Come on boy, there are things much more important, don't you agree? and we american have also good poets that everybody can read since they are written in english. Phil, think UNIVERSAL. The World speaks english.
Phil   Saturday, May 15, 2004, 12:18 GMT
Hi ricky,
its not easy to tell how a poet like Rimbaud could affect one's life. Probably it would be easier for me to tell this than for you to understand it. But I'm not going to make an attempt. Dont worry, I know the importance of learning english. I wish you good luck with your american style of life.
...   Sunday, May 16, 2004, 16:23 GMT
Is the main aim of life earning money, Ricky?
French is probably the language that has most influenced English... and learning French could be really useful, even for you sweety.
It seems money is the only thing important in your life: what about culture for example? Sometimes I understand the French and their critics against Americans and their "money culture"... cause of course I guess you are American, huh?
...   Sunday, May 16, 2004, 16:26 GMT
The world speeks English? Do you mean that English speaking countries= the entire world????!! Come on boy, you are not the world center!!!
...   Sunday, May 16, 2004, 16:35 GMT
Just a last thing: do you know the meaning of the French world "culture"?
Pentatonic   Monday, May 17, 2004, 17:52 GMT
Here in the states the DVDs I have checked have both Spanish and French subtitles. Perhaps there are similar subtitles for the DVD region you are in.
ricky   Monday, May 17, 2004, 17:59 GMT
Culture=war.Look at Iraq: they have their own culture but different and it makes war.If there were only one culture there would be no war.That's what we have to achieve.
Phil   Monday, May 17, 2004, 19:28 GMT
Hi Pentatonic,
I didnt know much about DVD's since I havent used any so far but you are right. I found out that you can change both language and subtitles with DVD's. Some DVD's have even up to 5 languages and 15 subtitles. I could find easly some DVD's with originally french sound and french susbtitles. I also have ordered a DVD player. I'm eager to see if this methot will work.
Nic   Tuesday, May 18, 2004, 09:57 GMT
Hi guys!

Why do you respond to Ricky, it's only provocatin. Just ignore him that's the best to do
ricky   Tuesday, May 18, 2004, 10:01 GMT
nic, i'm not provokating, i AM open-minded and i try to understand you, i have my own vision of what is good for mankind.You're allowed to disagree, it's yer right.I didn't know my opinion would provoke such responses.
I'm sorry but here in America we think so.