Le, el, ella

Jason   Monday, June 28, 2004, 21:12 GMT
I get quite confused on how to put sentences like this:

Le disfruta comer los helados

Can 'le' be she and he or just he?
Spanish_student   Monday, June 28, 2004, 21:21 GMT
That is a good point!
Jason   Tuesday, June 29, 2004, 13:24 GMT
Has no one got anything to add on this then?

Abrazos
Miguel   Tuesday, June 29, 2004, 18:58 GMT
The right sentence would be "ella/el disfruta comiendo helados" or "le gusta comer helados" "le" can be she or he. but in spain (mostly in Madrid) people say "la gusta comer helados" refering to "she".this is a common mistake usually made by people (specially from Madrid).
Xatufan   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 02:54 GMT
Miguel's right. You can say:

El disfruta comiendo helados. (If the person is a man).
Ella disfruta comiendo... (If the person is a girl).
Le gusta comer helados.
El / Ella gusta de comer helados.
Le gustan los helados.
El / Ella gusta de los helados.

Notice that if you use "gustar" without preposition, it MUST accord with the thing: "Me gustan los helados". (Los helados is plural, therefore gustan).
But you use "gustar" with "de", it MUST accord with the person: "Gusto de los helados". (It's the first singular person, therefore gusto."

"Me gustan los helados": Los helados is the subject, I am the indirect object, therefore we use "me".
"Gusto de los helados". I am the subject.

This can be quite confusing.
Juan   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 05:23 GMT
write in English exactly what you were trying to write in Spanish because I'm confused. Was it a stament or a question?

A el le gusta comer sorbete.
Miguel   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 16:28 GMT
Juan.A el le gusta beber sorbete. it's more correct.
Xatufan. to much grammar. But when you say "ella gusta de los helados" you maybe mean "a ella le gustan los helados" รณ "ella disfruta con los helados". "ella gusta de los helados" is not grammatically correct.
Jose   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 16:44 GMT
Ella gusta de los helados puede may sound awkward,
but it's grammatically correct
Eugenia   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 18:43 GMT
No Jose, it's not grammatically correct! The subject is ''Los Helados'', plural, of course, and so if you put the verb in singular, there is lack of agreement between the verb and the subject. So, you may understand ''Ella gusta de los helados'', but that doesn't mean that it's gramatically correct.
Juan   Wednesday, June 30, 2004, 23:23 GMT
Miguel,

Sorbete means icecream for me. "Helado" is not in my vocabulary. It sounds awkward to me since I wasn't brought up using it. I am aware that "sorbete" is used to mean some sort of fruit drink in other places, it's called diversity.

I would just say:

"A el le gustan los sorbetes." I wouldn't include "comer', it's much more concise gives the sentence a better flow.

"He likes icecream" is basically what the sentence above would be translated into English. We don't have to include "he likes to EAT IT" because it's obvious. What else would he do with an icecream?
Xatufan   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 02:45 GMT
"Ella gusta de los helados."

I think it's gramatically correct. However, you won't hear it anywere. It's really awkward. It's better to say:

"A ella le gustan los helados."

Juan: Where are you from? For me, helado is ice cream, and sorbete is the straw used for drinking liquids. I think in Mexico popote is used in that case...
Eugenia   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 10:49 GMT
Xatufan, How can you say it is grammatically correct if there is not agreement between the verb and the subject!!!!!!!??? It may be semantically correct, but that's all!!! c'mon! You're a native speaker of the language!
Miguel:
In Argentina, ''Sorbete'' means Straw :)
Miguel   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 11:16 GMT
Eugenia, In that case you are right, I've never heard it. I'm from spain and I can say xatufan and Jose that " ella gusta de los helados " is wrong.
Where are you all from?
Juan   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 13:25 GMT
Xatufan

I'm from Central America. Yeah, that's ritght ;-) NOT North America, South America or even Middle "United States" America. :-) Incredible as this may sound, some people do confuse "Central" America with Middle US America. LOL! I could be more specific if you want me Xatufan.

I know that Chileans also refer to ice creams as "helados". No worries, it's just a term. One is as good as any other. Although we could directly translate it into Spanish as crema de hielo/crema helada/leche helada. How do those alternatives sound?
Juan   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 13:29 GMT
<<I could be more specific if you want me Xatufan. >>

LOL! How embarrasing.

I meant to say <<I could be more specific if you want me TO>>