Le, el, ella

Jason   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 13:35 GMT
'A el le gusta helados'

This would look like:

To him he likes icecream?

How does this become the correct way of saying it? It's all confusing to us who are learning and not fluent in Spanish.

abrazos
Juan   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 14:42 GMT
No, that's not right.

A el le GUSTAN LOS helados.
Eugenia   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 17:22 GMT
Jason: ''Los Helados'' is the subject, it's plural, so you have to put the verb in it's plural form. (A él) Le gustan los helados / (a él) le gusta el helado...
Miguel   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 17:38 GMT
Eugenia, you are from mexico, aren't you? I think the word "lindo" is very used by mexican people.
Steve   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 17:41 GMT
'A el le gustan los helados' does not translate to 'to him he likes ice cream.'

It's important to remember that Spanish is not just English with different words. The gramatical structure is also very different. Therefore, one can not translate word for word.

'A el le gustan los helados' simply translates to 'He likes ice cream.'
Eugenia   Thursday, July 01, 2004, 20:45 GMT
Miguel: No, I'm not from Mexico, I'm from Argentina :)
Juan   Friday, July 02, 2004, 01:40 GMT
Argentina, eh?
Eugenia   Friday, July 02, 2004, 15:12 GMT
YES, ARGENTINA
Eugenia   Friday, July 02, 2004, 15:13 GMT
I asked my Spanish teacher today if ''Ella gusta de los helados'' was ok, and she said that it was grammatically correct but toooooo old fashion. So, I'm sorry Xatufan, it was correct.
Xatufan   Friday, July 02, 2004, 23:21 GMT
Yeah, yeah, please notice that "A ella le gustan los helados" doesn't have the preposition "de", but "Ella gusta de los helados" does. The difference of subject might be related to the preposition "de".

Eugenia: Is "old fashion" an adjective? I think it's "old fashioned". If it is an adjective, I'm so sorry.

I'm from Ecuador (the country with the Galapagos Islands, you know...).

"Crema de hielo". No me gustaría ni probarla!
Juan   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 00:11 GMT
Why would you have a Spanish teacher if you are from Argentina?
mjd   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 02:07 GMT
One can study grammar, writing, literature etc. in one's own language. One of the subjects children study in school here in the U.S. (and I'm sure in the U.K. as well) is English.
Juan   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 04:59 GMT
<<I asked my Spanish teacher today if ''Ella gusta de los helados'' was ok, and she said that it was grammatically correct but toooooo old fashion. So, I'm sorry Xatufan, it was correct.>>

I don't need a friggin' teacher to answer that.
Jason   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 19:08 GMT
Le - Masculine and feminine subject
Lo/La - Masculine/Feminine object

*This is the general rule in Castellano according to a book I have just looked at!

In some spanish speaking areas, lo and la is sometimes used for the subject also.

Abrazos
Xatufan   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 19:47 GMT
Jason: I understood nothing! But I can explain it. Just look.

Regalé una bicicleta a mi hermana.
La regalé a mi hermana.

"La" replaces "la bicicleta", which is femenine, and is the DIRECT object.

Le regalé una bicicleta.

"Le" replaces "a mi hermana", which is the INDIRECT object. "Le" can be either masculine or femenine. Here it's femenine.

Se la regalé.

When we replace both complements, we change "le" to "se" for phonetic reasons. It's easier to pronounce.