is it possible to prove that...

MARK   Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 21:26 GMT
Is there anyone reading my topic about allophones!!I would really appreciate if sombody could give me arguments for this:
I remind:are /h/ and /-ing/allophones of the same phoneme??or just how to prove that they are???
THANX A MILLION IN ADVANCE:))
Jim   Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 23:41 GMT
Your "topic"? Your several topics. Why don't you go find out what an allophone is then you won't have to puzzle over such absurd ideas?
MARK   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 10:53 GMT
Oh I see you think is an absurd idea!!If you are not interested just don't write,find a subject you'e interested in.
Sehrish   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 12:26 GMT
jim i think ur thoughts r just like if u r not interested in this topic Mark has not say u only to pass urs comments so u have to sorry for this.u r in secondyear and i think u have learn nothing in these years.
Paul   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 15:09 GMT
I agree with you Sehrish,the forum is not to criticize.Maybe Jim doesn't know how to prove it and that's way he has got angry with this topic(Jim likes to comment every topic:))
Jim   Friday, November 26, 2004, 04:36 GMT
I don't like to comment on every topic. I comment on this one because some ESL student might happen to stumble upon it thinking that it is serious. By so doing they'd easily become confused, so I'm only trying to help.

Of course, Mark will probably say that he is serious but if Mark were serious, then why so many threads on the same topic?

Absurd it is: /h/ is one phoneme and /ing/ are three, /i, n/ and /g/. How could one phoneme be an allophone of three?

Sherish,

I'm afraid I hardly understood a word of what you've written.
Boy   Friday, November 26, 2004, 10:06 GMT
Jim,

I understood what she wrote. She meant that you acted like a 17 year old snooty and didn't know how to reply to Mark's query. So you owe an apology to him. Also, she said that you didn't learn anything good in your college days. Now your turn to reply to her post. :)
Sehrish   Friday, November 26, 2004, 10:06 GMT
jim u say that Mark was wrong but that is not the proper way to tell him his mistake.and u have to sorry Mark.And why r u afraid.
Sehrish   Friday, November 26, 2004, 10:12 GMT
u donot understand what i wrote and listen Mr Jim english is not my mother language our mother language is urdu.i am also in secondyear but i think that i am not stupid like u.
MARK   Friday, November 26, 2004, 10:12 GMT
Jim,I meant to prove that /h/ and /-ing as N/are allophone of the same phoneme.I guess you have misunderstood my several topics....
Mi5 Mick   Friday, November 26, 2004, 10:31 GMT
Do you mean the following?
/h/ as in "hot".
/ing/ as in "ingot".

If so, then /h/ isn't an allophone of /ing/ because "hot" isn't pronounced "ingot".

If not, then provide examples of words containing /h/ and /ing/.
MARK   Friday, November 26, 2004, 11:58 GMT
/h/ and /N/ are in complementary distribution and allophones which are in complementary distribution are considered theoretically as allophones of the same phoneme.And the same I guess we can say that they are not allophones of the same phoneme what we can prove using the commutation test.
(I started my topic to get to know what kind of other arguments do people have to prove my thesis,not to get them to do my homework:))
MARK   Friday, November 26, 2004, 12:03 GMT
/h/ and /N/ are in complementary distribution because /h/ only ever occurs at the beginning of the word and /N/occurs only at the end of the word.
Example:
hip,hill,hen,
ring,wing,
Am I right???
Mi5 Mick   Friday, November 26, 2004, 12:28 GMT
Ooh-ah! this sounds like a classic episode out of the Twilight Zone:

http://www.geocities.com/fozzy42/SoundClips/Themes/TV/TwilightZone.wav
MARK   Friday, November 26, 2004, 14:56 GMT
I have been listening to the music(of Twilight Zone) from the link you have written above but I do not know what you mean by that?
Do you think that I went to right direction to prove my thesis???