Wich country has the best english speakers?

Adam from Canada   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 06:22 GMT
The first is not.
malev   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 06:24 GMT
and canadians are just annoying all the time...
Tiffany   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 06:26 GMT
Why are they annoying Malev? Thanks for clarifying Adam. I thought there was only one Adam on this forum.
Adam from Canada   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 06:27 GMT
You're welcome.
Hilma   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 12:47 GMT
I don't think canadians are just annoying all the time. Did you say that because Adam said that thing about the 2 adams?

I agree with the fact that people who speak English don't know any other language , well, not all ofcourse. But I think those people can't help it. If my first language was English I wouldn't take the time too to learn other languages, maybe i would learn French, because It's nice to hear, but why would I take the time to learn other languages if other people learn English to understand me? For people like me (dutch) it's a must to learn English, but for Americans or English people you don't háve to learn it, because the whole world (almost!) adapt to you!
Martin   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 15:01 GMT
I think you're right, Hilma. I didn't thought about it, I always thought that those people who speak English and didn't want to learn another language were lazy!
Ivan S   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 17:42 GMT
Singapore. Actually English and Mandarin are their 1st languages. However, heaps of them suck at both somehow.
Sanja   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 18:04 GMT
I think it's logical that people who speak Germanic languages are better at speaking English, because they will most likely have a better accent and better grasp of English grammar than others. It's because their native language is more similar to English than, for instance, French is.
But I also think that Germany, Netherlands and Scandinavian countries probably have a better education system than France, Italy or Spain (at least when it comes to the foreign languages), and of course there is no need to even mention my native country (Bosnia and Herzegovina) which is terrible when it comes to that...LOL, but I think the things are improving.
And yes, I have to say that Americans seem to be the least educated people in industrialised world, not only in languages but in general. I don't really have a chance to meet many foreigners in person, but I chat to the people from all around the world all the time and I always come to the same conclusion: Europeans have MUCH better general knowledge than Americans.
Hilma   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 20:25 GMT
I think It's true. A friend of my, who was on vacation in America, said sport was like the most important thing in an American highschool. Well, in my school the most important thing is have good results and learning as much as you can. That's the only thing I can imagine why the Europeans have more general knowledge.
Brennus   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 06:08 GMT

It sounds like you've been listening to British children from private schools and probably from the London area. Most British kids don't go to private schools, however, and while living standards are high in southeastern England there is some terrible poverty in the industrialized towns of northern England.
Adam   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 06:16 GMT
Brennus, are you from England?
Bob   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 07:12 GMT
I think Americans are the most educated in technology, maths and sciences because they don't put as much energy into languages or foreign affairs. Europeans for some bitter reason carry the latter as a chip on their shoulders, maybe because they confuse this with their lack of joy with American politics.

One couldn't possibly have a clue about the people they're dealing with from the other side of the world by using a live internet chat. Most of the Americans I chat with are teenage brats who lie about their age and use daddy's internet to behave like hormone-charged dolts. Many of them who aren't pimply-faced are under the age of 13 and are worse. Daddy who has to work doesn't have much time for internet to play.
LOLO   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 11:20 GMT
ithink the iraqi people thy could speak very well english ,and i thing the american speaking is better than england and australia
american nic   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 15:38 GMT
I know very well about the American education system...in a word, it sucks. Sports are very important, and everyone takes 'easy' classes (where nothing is actually learned) and about math and science...I would be amazed if Europeans weren't better at math, and Americans always score low in international competitions of science, though Britain does worse, Scandinavian and East Asian countries take the top.
Tiffany   Wednesday, January 12, 2005, 17:04 GMT
Speak for yourselves - but then, I've been to private schools all my life (but in America of course!).