THE LONGEST THINKABLE WORD IN YOUR LANGUAGE

Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:22 GMT
In Dutch we have the longest words (Though not "THE" longest word)in the world,so dont try to beat us :-) Just enter a word + language you speak.

Ps.

This is the longest "word" its a the chemical name for tobacco (spelled in Latin):

ACETYL­SERYL­TYROSYL­SERYL­ISO­LEUCYL­THREONYL­SERYL­PROLYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­VALYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­SERYL­SERYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­VALYL­CYSTEINYL­THREONYL­SERYL­SERYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMINYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ALANYL­ARGINYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­SERYL­GLUTAMINYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­LYSYL­PROLYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­GLYCYL­ASPARTYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­LYSYL­VALYL­TYROSYL­ARGINYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­ALANYL­VALYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­PROLYL­LEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­LEUCYL­LEUCYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­ASPARTYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ASPARAGINYL­ARGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ISOLEUCYL­GLUTAMYL­VALYL­GLUTAMYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­GLUTAMINYL­SERYL­PROLYL­THREONYL­THREONYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­THREONYL­LEUCYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­ARGINYL­ARGINYL­VALYL­ASPARTYL­ASPARTYL­ALANYL­THREONYL­VALYL­ALANYL­ISOLEUCYL­ARGINYL­SERYL­ALANYL­ASPARAGINYL­ISOLEUCYL­ASPARAGINYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­ARGINYL­GLYCYL­THREONYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­TYROSYL­ASPARAGINYL­GLUTAMINYL­ASPARAGINYL­THREONYL­PHENYL­ALANYL­GLUTAMYL­SERYL­METHIONYL­SERYL­GLYCYL­LEUCYL­VALYL­TRYPTOPHYL­THREONYL­SERYL­ALANYL­PROLYL­ALANYL­SERINE = Tobacco

Try,but nobody can beat that...
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:32 GMT
Some long dutch words in regular use:

-arbeidsongeschiktheidspensioen
-arbeidsongeschiktheidsregeling
-arbeidsvoorwaardenontwikkeling
-centraleverwarmingsinstallatie
-elektriciteitsproductiebedrijf
-huwelijksvruchtbaarheidscijfer
-levensverzekeringsmaatschappij
-levensverzekeringsovereenkomst
-nicotiamide-adenine-dinucleotide
-staatsinvesteringsmaatschappij
-telecommunicatie-infrastructuur
-televisieproductiemaatschappij
-vastgoedbeleggingsmaatschappij
-verantwoordelijkheidsstructuur
-verantwoordelijkheidsverdeling
-ziekteverzekeringsmaatschappij
-arbeidsongeschiktheidsuitkering
-belangenbehartigingsorganisatie
-chronischevermoeidheidssyndroom
-huisvuilverbrandingsinstallatie
-kredietverzekeringsmaatschappij
-kunstnijverheidstentoonstelling
-rioolwaterzuiveringsinstallatie
-rookgasontzwavelingsinstallatie
-verlijfrentekapitaalverzekering
-verlijfrentekapitaalverzekering
-vertegenwoordigingsovereenkomst
-wervelbedvergassingsinstallatie
-ziektekostenverzekeringsbedrijf
-accountantadministratieconsulent
-medeverantwoordelijkheidsheffing
-arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering
-arbeidsongeschiktheidsverzekering
-arbeidsongeschiktheidsvoorziening
-chloorfluorkoolwaterstofverbinding
-elektriciteitsproductiemaatschappij
-zandzeepsodemineraalwatersteenstralen
-geneesmiddelenvergoedingssysteem

and,

randjongerenhangplekkenbeleidsambtenarensalarisbesprekingsafspraken

hottentottententententoonstellingsmakersopleidingsprogramma

(Al good in grammer)
Sanja   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:42 GMT
We definitely don't have any words longer than that, so I won't even try... LOL :)
!   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:47 GMT
Invaliditeitsuitkeringshoofdkwartiervestigingsgebouwfundamentenblauwdruk
Tiffany   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:47 GMT
What the heck do all of them mean? I know I can't possibly top that, but why are such long words in use? They must be compound words.
Sanja   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:51 GMT
"randjongerenhangplekkenbeleidsambtenarensalarisbesprekingsafspraken" "hottentottententententoonstellingsmakersopleidingsprogramma"

You guys actually use these words? Wow!!!
And when someone says that English is hard to spell... LOL :) I think no one should dare to say that after this.
Ed   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:55 GMT
I had no idea Dutch was such a nightmare!
In Bulgarian the longest known word is
Neprotivokonstitutsionstvuvatelstvuvaite. It means "don't do anything agains the Constitution", although it is not used in any case, other than a joke or something (because everybody knows it's the longest word).
Tiffany   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:01 GMT
I know when I was growing up, I was taught that "antidisestablishmentarianism" was the longest word, but I think that has been displaced by various medical terms now.
Sanja   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:05 GMT
I was taught that one of the longest words in Serbo-Croatian was "otorinolaringologija", but there might be some longer words, I can't remember right now. If I remember, I will let you know.
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:07 GMT
Hahahaha!

Wel I think we kind of overran you guys with these words....

And yes most of them we use regulary,(although not the 2 for chemicalcomponents)the are all real words ,in fact its possible in theory to use practicly every word in Dutch and to let the word end with a proffession/job and its still correctly spelled.

But dont only think about the number of letters,think of all the "sounds" (vowels?!).

And tiffany,the arrent compound and yes we use them all.

Another (Funny)thing in the Netherlands not so long ago a song was written with only 20 words jet it lasted 4,5 minutes
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:09 GMT
Didnt make much sence though....
Tiffany   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:11 GMT
Did you mean to say that they aren't compound words? What do they mean then?
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:30 GMT
It would be to much work to translate them all so I wil take only the last 2 (the longest ones) ....And If you have requests Il do those to.

-randjongerenhangplekkenbeleidsambtenarensalarisbesprekingsafspraken
=
the agreements for the negotiations concerning the salary of public servants who decide on the policy for areas where unemployed youth is allowed to hang out.

-hottentottententententoonstellingsmakersopleidingsprogramma
=
the curriculum of an education teaching the makers of exhibitions about the tents of the Hottentots.
(the last one is a joke bye the way,but the exhibition about the tents of hottentots was real.)
!   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:43 GMT
Invaliditeitsuitkeringshoofdkwartiervestigingsgebouwfundamentenblauwdruk

this is the longest word I know :p
Sander   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 18:45 GMT
"!" Speaks dutch to....