the French vs. the Franks

Fredrik from Norway   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:48 GMT
Saying that people in Orleans and Napoli share the same Latin culture is like saying that Norway and Germany share the same Germanic culture. Maybe 50 % correct, but not more.
fabbrice   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:51 GMT
" People in Normandy are not as warm-blooded, hot-tempered, life-enjoying, amourous as people in Provence, Languedoc etc, I think. The famous French "raison" does not seem very Mediterranean! "

I continue to think that you are completly prisioner of you preconceptions and cliches... I am half parisian, half-southerner, so I know very much both sides of my country. I recognise diferences, but they are moslty due to the climatic differences and natural ambiant that forges the way of life and things like tipical regional food products. For the rest there is no diference.
the southerner been more warm or amourous is a myth. By the way even in the myth the north is seen as "joie de vivre" and "amourous" (the image that carries Paris is exactly that : romantisme, cafés, joy in narrow streets, etc...
You seems to oppose the "raison" with been mediterranean... once again you're wrong. You think with your imaginary about what yu think is mediterranean. Remember that the french "raison" find its origins in the italian renaissance, when some artists and thinker like galileo or leonardo da vinci went to france to show their science and the rebirth of the antique (greco-roman) knowledges that deseappeared during the middle ages.
Krako   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:55 GMT
Fredrik

I'm sorry. I've no intention to be rude with you.
You must think I'm a bit agressive and I apologize for that.
Actually you must understand that it gets on my nerves to read everywhere in this forum an insignificant minority of people (Vincenç, ...) who asserts that our mother tongue is occitan and that we are oppressed by the parisians. It's so much caricatural.

At least you can see that I'm fiery like a latin(lol)

Once again sorry!!
fabbrice   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:55 GMT
"Saying that people in Orleans and Napoli share the same Latin culture is like saying that Norway and Germany share the same Germanic culture. Maybe 50 % correct, but not more."

Orleans and napoli doesn't share the same latin culture. Napoli is an south italian latin culture, while Orleans is a central french latin culture.

From France, Norway is seen as a germanic country. Not a german germanic country, but as a scandinavian germanic country.
Fredrik from Norway   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:56 GMT
Of course it is mostly due to climate and upbringing. No-one is born warm-blooded. Claiming that would be rascism.

Well, maybe Paris is such a lovely mix of raison and joie-de-vivre beacuse it is THE, and maybe the only, true French place in France?
Fredrik from Norway   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:57 GMT
That is also way you can say that Dijon and Stuttgart share the same Central European culture.
Krako   Friday, March 04, 2005, 23:59 GMT
Lille in northern France have a reputation for being a very warm city!!
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:01 GMT
Krako:
I see you are from Bordeaux. That is one of the biggest cities in France. And even in Gascoigne? Aquitaine, which I suppose is not part of the langue d'oc. Maybe Vincenc is from a small place in Languedoc and has grown up using Occitan?
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:02 GMT
What do you mean by "warm"? Climatic?
fabbrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:04 GMT
"That is also way you can say that Dijon and Stuttgart share the same Central European culture"

What is central european culture ?!! such a thing doesn't even exist !! ehehehe...

By the way, I doubt you've been to Bourgogne. It is a region wich has a mediterranean flavor... lot of grapes, a lot of villages with mediterranean type of roofs (region of macon, north of Lyon..) Abslolutly nothing germanic in this place...
Krako   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:09 GMT
Fredrik,

What do you want to demonstrate?? That we are not french?? that only the parisians deserve to be called "french". I think you should study french history to understand how this wonderful country (yes I'm a bit chauvinistic (lol)) was born. I mean you seem to lack knowledge to talk about it. France is not Norway. It is certainely the oldest country in Europe. Italy or germany, for example were created only 150 years. Study our history, you'll see it is absolutely fascinating, and you will see that the prejuidices against France are unfair.

Good night!!
Vive la Norvège (long live Norway)
fabbrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:09 GMT
Frederik

could you answere my question :

what is more latin in northern spain (galicia, asturias, castilla y leon, etc...) than in northern France ? In Galicia people play bagpipes, the weather isn't mediterranean, the food neither, it rains all day, the temperatures are cool, the people are not especially "hot-blooded"... Do you accept northern spanish to be latin ?
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:11 GMT
It might be hard to relate to a concept like Central Europe, because it has never been a political unity. And who is talking about Germanic? Celts used to live in Southern Germany before the Germans came from the North.

A good example of the fact that things does not have to be Latin or Germanic is Switzerland: In Switzerland you can say to yourself: The people here speak German, but the houses, the streets etc look so French...and vice versa!
Krako   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:12 GMT
You say that Gascogne (aquitaine) doesn't make part of the "occitan area"??? Are you crazy?? Look at a map!!
Gascon is one of the dialects of occitan.
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:13 GMT
No, people in Northern Spain are not as Latin as people around the western Mediterranean. They are more Atlantic, just like the Portuguese.