the French vs. the Franks

fabbrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:15 GMT
"Maybe Vincenc is from a small place in Languedoc and has grown up using Occitan?"

Nobody in France is raised in occitan. it is sad but this language is now a dead language.
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:15 GMT
Ok, sorry. I did not know about the boundaries of Occitan.
Guilhem to krako/fabbrice (same guy)   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:19 GMT
>> Come to southern France; ask people if they speak occitan. Many of them won't even understand what you mean by occitan!!

Of course not. They know it as "patois". Every regional language in France is called "patois", but that does not deny the fact that the patois they speak in Southern France is Occitan.

http://www.orbilat.com/Languages/Occitan/

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/babel-site/occitan.html

http://www.uoc.edu/euromosaic/web/document/occita/an/i2/i2.html
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:19 GMT
It is just so funny to see how some of you French guys deny that there are really big regional differences in France. It is just like hearing de Gaulle: All my life, I have had this idea of France.....
Tout ma vie,...une certaine idee de la France.
fabbrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:23 GMT
so penelope cruz, julio iglesias, Luz Casal are not latin for you... Fidel Castro neither.. all of them are of galician origins...

And the andalucians, who are a mix of germanic vandals, gypsies from india,
moors, romans, celts, iberians... and whose culture is deeply influenced by all of them are much more latin than their northerner counterparts to your eyes... You seem to think that latin = coming from the south. more you come from the south more you are latin... thinking this way we should conclude that black africans are the most latin people (very warm, disorganized, hot-blooded , etc..) I'm joking heheheh...
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:24 GMT
And that idea is the idea of a LATIN France. We are not uncivilized barbarians like the Germans, the English or the Americans!!!! All people in France should speak Parisian French, only!!! Because France is ONE, and not many like it used to be before the Revolution!!! If you want regional autonomy you are against the Revolution! You are a fucking monarchist!!! We must hang you!!! You, Austrian whore, who tells the starving people to eat cakes!!!
Krako   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:24 GMT
Fredrik you're really stubborn!!
Are all the scandinavians like you??

Well Fabrice and I are French and so we are latin. You live far away from the latin world which visibly you don't know at all!! When you write that the portuguese aren't as latin as their spanish neighbours, you can't image how it makes me laugh. Think as you want. Of course, I suppose you speak the romance languages to teach us who we are and who deserves to be called latin??
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:25 GMT
I was just joking, I too!
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:27 GMT
To me, Frenchmen, Italians and Spaniards are as different as Germans, Englishmen and Scandinavians.
fabb   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:27 GMT
Come to southern France; ask people if they speak occitan. Many of them won't even understand what you mean by occitan!!
Of course not. They know it as "patois". Every regional language in France is called "patois", but that does not deny the fact that the patois they speak in Southern France is Occitan.

JE SUIS DU SUD !!!!!! JE SAIS DE QUOI JE PARLE !!!!!

l'occitan n'est plus parlé aujour'hui que par quelques personnes agées isolées, ou bien par quelques citadins qui l'apprennent pour le plaisir de connaitre une langue régionales. Mais personne ne l'utilise !

essayez de parler en occitan dans un magasin du sud de la France, les gens vont vous répondre en Anglais !
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:29 GMT
Yes, linguistically you are all Latin. But culturally? That is more dubious...
Krako   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:31 GMT
to Guilhem: No Fabrice and I are not the same guy. I don't know how the same guy could post twice at the same time!!

I have a huge respect for de Gaulle. Of course he could seem very arrogant to foreigners but...what a great man!!
fabrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:34 GMT
frederik

norvegians are not scandinavians. true scandinavians are only the swedish and the danish. norvegians are not sacndinavians because they are on the atlantic and not on the baltic sea.

By the way do you know that the polish, germans, lituanians, letonians and estonians are scandinavians culturally and etnically. But you, norvegians are just "atlantics".. like your scotish, irish, Morrocan and portuguese friends...
Fredrik from Norway   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:36 GMT
To me, Latin is about sexiness (which central, rural France is not!), pulsating life, a live-and-let-go attitude, openness, superficiality, a distrust in the state, a strong belief in family, a cuisine with a lot of vegetables, spices and fish, strong colours, wine etc.
fabbrice   Saturday, March 05, 2005, 00:37 GMT
"All people in France should speak Parisian French, only"

Oh no my god... parisian french doesn't sound nice. southerner accent is much more singing and nice to hear....
(I'm both parisian and Niçois... a good mix !