Portuguese and Spanish are the closest Romance languages

Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 13:06 GMT
"No we Spaniards dont feel that way.. We are a European country, i mean,..the european continent, just look at a map and you´ll understand what i mean"

could you please tell me where are the Canary Islands, 7273 km2 of spanish territory, located?
Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 13:08 GMT
I could also ask where is Madeira (portuguese territory) located.
Ana   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 13:18 GMT
As the canary Islands belong to Spain lets say that canarian people are european and the same for madeira, just that they´ll feel portuguese. About people from melilla or ceuta they might feel mostly Spanish or Moroccan depending on their background..but i never asked them so i dont really know. Have you a map? everything must be very clearly explained there.
have a nice sunday!
Ana   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 13:19 GMT
just that they´ll feel portuguese" and consequently european (but i never really asked them) i can just talk about how myself and people around me feel.
Cross   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 14:44 GMT
In fact, Madeira's people do feel Portuguese, unlike the people from Azors which want to become independent. But, Nelly Furtado is claims her Portuguese origins altho she is Azorian. Azorian dialect is always subtitled on Lisbon-based Tv channels (just like Lisbon dialect is always subtitled on Brazilian Tv channels).
Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 15:15 GMT
Cross wrote: " Azorian dialect is always subtitled on Lisbon-based Tv channels"

BULL.SH.IT.
I don't know which Lisbon-based TV you see. Azorians are portuguese. And for people speaking portuguese as a second language, azorian Portuguese is easier to understand than Portuguese from Lisbon. One see you have no idea of what you're talking about.
Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 15:18 GMT
One sees you have no idea of what you're talking about.
Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 15:25 GMT
And people of Madeira are also portuguese and their Portuguese is never subtitled on Lisbon-based Tv channels. Honestly no Portuguese variant is subtitled on portuguese television. That's something only brazilians do.
Gunter   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 16:45 GMT
Well to be honest with you, I find your conversation very interesting, but frankly as an European I never liked the attitude of those "Latinos" towards the European Latin culture.

Especially the attitude of most Brazilians towards the Portuguese.

In other words and don't get me wrong, most of the Brazilians I know are immigrants here, and not very educated besides coming from the third word it's a huge handicap in the western word

I would rather trust a Portuguese than a Brazilian. And overall the Portuguese image it’s positive in the world compared with the Brazilian poverty and favelas from the third word

Who cares what Brazilians think about the Portuguese or what Hispanics think about Spain and Spaniards?

They have huge problems with their image and credibility in the modern world.

Gunter from Sweden
mjd   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 17:11 GMT
Yeah, that claim about people from Madeira and the Azores being subtitled is totally bogus.
Huchu   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 18:46 GMT
Gunter from Sweden wrote:
"Who cares what Brazilians think about the Portuguese or what Hispanics think about Spain and Spaniards?"

You're right!
And now my comment on the so called "Brazilian Language": If Brazilians want to have a language different from Portuguese or want to have a national language not called Portuguese, then they should be as creative (and please don’t get me wrong) as the people of Cape Verde, where Cabo Verdeano and Portuguese are official languages. By the way Cabo Verdeano (Cape Verdean) is in my opinion the most beautiful portuguese-based language. It is so melodious and musical and must be subtitled because it is definitively a different language, which no portuguese-speaking person can understand without previously having learned it.
greg   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 20:21 GMT
Right. Example : Cesaria Evora.
bernard   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 21:52 GMT
" Hi bernard, well i do see what it means. I can´t help feeling european and i don´t feel latin american at all. I see Latin americans as foreigners though we speak "almost" the same language. "

Hola Ana, supongo que vienes de Espana.

I don't understand why the spanish people of today seem to show a complex or a identity problem, and want to justify themselves to be Europeans... Of course that Spain and Spanish are Europeans !... You don't have to justify yourself and saying "we are close to europeans...". You are not close to Europeans, you ARE Europeans, nobody have a doubt about this. Spain is and has always been one of the major Euopean countries.

On the other hand, a lot of spanish people seems to reject their latinity, as if only the south americans were latins... Ana, being latin (latino en espanol) doesn't mean being coming from Hispano-america, but being from the part of Europe whose culture and language comes from Rome. There is no shame of being latin ; Italian, Spanish, french, Portuguese...

I understand that you could consider some latin-americans as foregners, especially the one who emigrate to Spain because they are mostly peruanos and ecuadorianos who are from native indian background)
But this is only one part of latin america (and the les "latin" in comparision of argentina)
I don't believe of the so-called latin-american brotherhood, firstly because by "latin-american", they forget to include the brazilians (one third of latin america that don't speak spanish) and the french speaking peoples of america, who are as latin-americans as the spanish-speaking peoples of america.
Secondly because there is mainly 3 main geographical and cultural groups almost completly distinct :
1. the caribean + colombia, venezuela, north brazil - whose culture and people is a mix of african and latin (Spanish and portuguese)
2. the andean + central america + mexico - whose culture and people
is a mix of native indian and Spanish.
3. The "cono sur" + south brazil - whose culture and people is mainly latin (spanish, portuguese, Italian) + other Europeans.
Wich ones of those culture is "latino" ? I have an argentinean friend, she consider herself latin (she's of Italian origin), but she absolutly don't lrecongnise herself in the caricatural stereotype of "latino" culture wich is a mix of caribean and central american cultures (only a very little part of latin america)
Tomas   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 22:40 GMT
[Wich ones of those culture is "latino" ?]

They're are all "Latino" bernard, Latino as in Latin American. If you don't feel any connection to others in the region that is your opinion and your entitled to it. I have from Mexico, Peru, Uruguay and Argentina and we all get along quite well and feel a sense of kinship and affinity between each other. But I've also heard of certain Argentines that because they're predominantly European in phenotype that they believe they can't possibly share anything in common with people that aren't predominantly European either. And that's okay it is widely known that some Argentines have this complex, no problems you can suit yourself.
bernard   Sunday, April 17, 2005, 22:50 GMT
I've been mywelf in Brazil, Dominican republic, Argentine, Guyane... The differences in latin america are huge. Of course there is a connexion, but as I said, the only connexion is that they are all countries who recieved an influence of the latin countries (especially Spain). But what I don't believe is the existance of a unique and specific latin-american culture independant of its latin origins. Now, the medias (mostly from USA) are unacurating using the word "latin" or "latino" to speak about this imaginary specific "latin-american identity", when in fact "latin" relates to south Europe.