Céline Dion

Paul   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 04:13 GMT
She has an obvious French accent, but she speaks English well.
Celine Dion   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 16:55 GMT
"Celine definitely needs an accent coach"

Why Kess?

If you are American I kind of understand that , since majority of Americans believe that a non-native American accent is bad and this makes the person's, who has it ,English not good.
I'm not trying to offend anyone here , either American or other nationalities, but I got tired of hearing Americans saying bad things about people who have an accent in english.If I am wrong , please let me know, or I would like to see your opinion.
Adam   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 18:03 GMT
"Xatufan

I fully agree with Kirk."

Are you one of Worf's friends?

just kidding.
Ed   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 18:38 GMT
Celine, is that really you? lol
JJM   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 18:38 GMT
Céline sounds just fine when she speaks - in both languages.

End of story.
Xatufan   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 18:38 GMT
I don't understand the joke. I'm not native, maybe that's the reason. What is Worf?
Celine Dion   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 20:22 GMT
Please stop talking about my accent, French or not French :)
All I have is a Canadian accent. That's it....

Regards,
Celine Dion.
bernard   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 20:58 GMT
" She has an obvious French accent, but she speaks English well. "

it is funny because nobody in France would say that Celine Dion have a french accent ! It would be like saying that Georges Bush has an English accent...
Ed   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 21:12 GMT
<<it is funny because nobody in France would say that Celine Dion have a french accent ! It would be like saying that Georges Bush has an English accent... >>

Duh, of course. If Bush spoke French, he's have an English accent.
Ed   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 21:14 GMT
he's -> he'd
greg   Wednesday, April 20, 2005, 22:54 GMT
I don't know if Céline's parlure is Canadien, Québécois, Ontarien or whatever. When she speaks French she has an 'accent', if 'accent' means using a phonetic standard different from the traditional European norm. When she sings, phonetic difference seems to vanish.
bernard   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 00:04 GMT
" Duh, of course. If Bush spoke French, he's have an English accent. "

Ed, I think most people in Europe can recongnise a south US accent from an english one.

I'm asking myself if most anglophones hear the difference between the different accent of french (in french or in english). is the "quebecer accent" in when spoken in english seem to you similar to french one ? (for us, when we heard quebecers speaking english, we have the sensation that they have almost an US accent;;;)
JJM   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 13:21 GMT
Yes, a French Canadian speaking English tends to have a fairly unique accent based on a combination of the phonetics and speech patterns of Canadian French (which are of course different from French French) and the phonetics and speech patterns of Canadian English (which are different again from British English).

When I walk into a room where everyone is speaking French, if just one of them speaks with a Canadian French accent, I'll know right away.

Just as a Brit walking into a room where everone is speaking English, will know right away if a speaker is "American."
Deborah   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 18:39 GMT
I haven't heard many French-Canadians speaking English, but if they can't pronounce the voiced "th", then tend to pronounce it as "d", while the French tend to substitute "z". Your observations?
Chamonix   Thursday, April 21, 2005, 20:18 GMT
I think that's the problem of anybody who is not a native speaker (of English).
Other people who substitute "th" with "z" are Russians.
Eastern Europeans, I noticed , substitute unvoiced "th" with simple "t" or "s".