Céline Dion

nico   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 20:00 GMT
I personnaly like the canadian accent, i don't like Céline Dion's songs but i like her accent, i don't think her accent is uggly.
Chamonix   Saturday, April 23, 2005, 23:54 GMT
Travis,

It's not the "D" that's hard to say, it's the "th" sound which is pronounced either "d", or "s" (sometimes "t" or "z") by non-natives.

I personally like Celine Dion's accent.It's not heavy to my ear.
French Canadian   Sunday, April 24, 2005, 00:27 GMT
Chamonix,

That's a good question. I myself like the quebecoise accent. Celine Dion, at least to me, doesn't have a good one. There is no standard accent as the Office Québécois de la Langue Française hasn't standardised the variety, fearing such action would make the dialect less intelligible with Parisian French and thus ending the use of French in North America.

As far as other French Canadians, I think many (unfortunately) look down on their accent and prefer the Parisian model. My parents, however, are from the south of France, and I think their accent is very pretty as it sounds very musical. Maybe it's due to southern France's closeness to Spain/Italy.
Deborah   Sunday, April 24, 2005, 03:00 GMT
Chamonix,

I believe "/D/" is the symbol for the voiced "th", in whatever phonetic system it is that Travis usually uses.
Travis   Sunday, April 24, 2005, 03:14 GMT
/D/ is voiced "th", /T/ is unvoiced "th", as phonemes, in X-SAMPA, is the phonetic/phonemic transcription system I generally use. You can get more information on it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA