Belgium - languages

KSa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 07:42 GMT
Maybe you have talked about it but to make it clear once again: what is the status of Belgium regarding languages? Of course I know that Belgium is bilingual: they speak French and Flemish (or Flemish and French ;-). But does it mean that teaching of both languages is obligatory? How many people from French-speaking part of Belgium speak Flemish and vice versa?
Travis   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 07:58 GMT
Well, a little nit is that the language situation in Belgium really isn't quite that simple. While there are three main "standard languages" used in Belgium, Dutch, French, and to a lesser extent German, the actual languages used in Belgium overall are Dutch, West Flemish (which is closely related to but distinct from Dutch), French, a number of Oïl languages besides French (Walloon, Picard, Lorrain, and Champenois), German, and Luxembourgish (which is closely related to German).
KSa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 09:53 GMT
Supposing I am a Belgian citizen living in Brussels. Is it possible that I may not understand my neighbour (Belgian citizen as well) because they speak but Flemish and I speak only French?
bruxellois   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 10:06 GMT
yes it's possible, it's my case, we have to speak in english to understand each other
KSa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 10:17 GMT
bruxellois,
It's really interesting if it's true. My country is monolingual so I can't imagine such a situation. I think it can generate problems. Supposing you're looking for a job. You are a very good expert in what you do but it's useless if your employer doesn't speak the same language. Do such situations happen?
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 10:33 GMT
Why not just hand those Germans back to Germany? That would make a crazy situation a little less crazy.
Ren   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 12:09 GMT
The Belgium Germans are a small minority but tend to quite quiet about their views on the Vlaams/Wollen problem.

And if the Germans should go back to Germany I see no problem for the Danes in Northern Germany to go back to Danemark or other Europeans go back to their orginal country.

Give me a break!!!
Ren   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 12:16 GMT
Wollen should be Walloon
Kazoo   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 12:16 GMT
<<Supposing I am a Belgian citizen living in Brussels. Is it possible that I may not understand my neighbour (Belgian citizen as well) because they speak but Flemish and I speak only French? >>

This scenario is possible in many countries. With different languages involved, of course.
KSa   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 12:28 GMT
<<This scenario is possible in many countries. With different languages involved, of course. >>

Kazoo,
Of course you are right. For example in many African countries people speak hundreds of languages. But they have one official language and when they go to the office they can speak this language and an officer is supposed to understand them.
I wonder what happens in the countries where there are more than one official language and people are not obliged to know all of them.
For example I go the police station and a policeman does not understand me.
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 13:57 GMT
Eupen and Malmedy back to Germany!

Slesvig back to Denmark!

Go for it!
EchtGoed   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 14:02 GMT
in Brussels, you are expected to speak both French and Dutch in order to get a nice/decent job. If you're bilingual, and they're not, you will get hired and they will not!!!
Mathijs   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 16:23 GMT
Frederik , MALMEDY ?????
What are you talking about , it's french-speaking !
Sander   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 16:27 GMT
Oh,sounds like a fatal error.... ;)
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, June 02, 2005, 17:33 GMT
It sounds French to mee to, but I have always heard that Eupen and Malmedy are the two German cantons in Belgium.