Why didn't the anglo-saxons conquer the whole GB?

Adam   Monday, June 06, 2005, 18:00 GMT
There was a Celtic language spoken from Cumbria all the way down to Derbshire until the 1300's, so are you telling me that the counties from Cumbria all the way down to Derbyshire aren't English because they used to speak a Celtic language in those places?
Jaro   Monday, June 06, 2005, 22:04 GMT
That depends on their ancestry. If they interbred with the anglo-saxons then they're English. Otherwise they're of different ethnic origin. But in any case, they're British.

Damian:
When I say someone is Scotish, English etc, I usually mean he is of Scotish or English ethnic origin. In this sence, one cannot be English unless he has "English blood".

Margaret:
Do you think Celts gave up their own land willingly? Anglo-saxons didn't speak any celtic so it is logical to assume that they just slaughtered and enslaved the aborigines. From what I have heard the Celts were held in contempt by the Anglo-saxon invaders. As a consequence celts and anglo-saxons weren't allowed to intermarry.
It was nothing uncommon in that age. I wouldn't be surprised if aborigines living in current German and Slavic lands met a simmilar fate.
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 08:47 GMT
ANYONE can be English. You don't have to be of Anglo-Saxon origin to be English. I'm English but my mother is Scottish and my father is part English part Manx. So I'm a bit of a mongrel. There are people living in England now who were born in England and ARE English but whose ancestors came from India, Pakistan, Bangladesg, the West Indies and other places all over the world. The English are a mongrel race and not just Anglo-Saxon.
greg   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 08:51 GMT
"ANYONE can be English" : except there's no English passport, no English nationality, no English state, no English government, no English parliament and no English embassy to anywhere. So how can you be something that isn't there ?
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 09:08 GMT
There's no Scottish embassy and no Scottish passport, but the Scots consider themselves Scottish.

There's no Californian passport, no Californian country, but people there are still Californian.
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 09:10 GMT
But soon there will be an English Parliament, so we can throw that argument out of the window.
Travis   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 09:22 GMT
Well, depends. For example, I'm a Wisconsinite in the sense that I was born here in Wisconsin, have lived here my entire life, and natively speak a dialect of English that is specifically from this area. However, I cannot say that I'm *ethnically* a Wisconsinite whatsoever; ethnically, I'm still half German, half Polish, even though I've never been in Germany nor Poland ever, and am not fluent in German, and don't know a word of Polish. Actually, you can't say that anyone is ethnically a Wisconsinite, as even those who were native to this area had finer ethnic subdivisions than such.

Likewise, someone who has been born in England, and lived there their entire life, and primarily speak English, but whose parents are from Pakistan are English in the former sense, and Pakistani in the latter sense, as in they are specifically from England personally, yet are not ethnically Anglo-Saxon per se. One should not go and confuse the two senses of "English" in this context, as they're specifically different matters altogether.
Damian from Edinburgh   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 10:12 GMT
ADAM: There is no Lancastrian Embassy and no Lancastrian passport and no Lancastrian Language yet the Lancastrians still consider themselves Lancastrians.

ADAM: is there nae limit to your Anglo Lancastrian Sassenach idiocy?
Joe   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 11:36 GMT

There doesn't seem to be much support for an English Parliament...name any major political party or MP's who support the idea ? (apart from ex- Sun man Gary Bushell !)

Personally I hope they get it, but think the Cornish Assembly will be in place well before an English Parliament.

Kernow Bys Vyken !
Jaro   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 15:59 GMT
I agree with you Travis.

Adam:
Why do the English want their own parliament when they have one in westminster? The majority of MPs are elected from English counties. Why do you want another parliament when you have maybe 90% English MPs in the current one? Do you desire more bureaucracy?
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 16:16 GMT
"ADAM: There is no Lancastrian Embassy and no Lancastrian passport and no Lancastrian Language yet the Lancastrians still consider themselves Lancastrians.

ADAM: is there nae limit to your Anglo Lancastrian Sassenach idiocy?"

Eh? it wasn't me being idiotic. It was Greg by saying that people in English can't consider themselves to be English because there is no English state, no English embassy and no English passport.

I, quite rightly, said that in that case, the people of Scotland cannot consider themselves to be Scottish because there is also no Scottish state, no Scottish embassy and no Scottish passport.

I'm from Bolton - that means I'm a Boltonian, even though Bolton isn't a state and doedn't have its owm passport.
Adam   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 16:17 GMT
"Why do the English want their own parliament when they have one in westminster? The majority of MPs are elected from English counties. Why do you want another parliament when you have maybe 90% English MPs in the current one? Do you desire more bureaucracy? "

The Westminster Parliament is the BRITISH Parliament, not the English one.
Jaro   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 19:37 GMT
But what's the point of having one British parliament and a simmilar English one?
Wouldn't that make a British parliament useless?
greg   Tuesday, June 07, 2005, 23:21 GMT
Adam : "it wasn't me being idiotic".

No, it's just you being psychotic...
frank   Wednesday, June 08, 2005, 12:37 GMT
Obviously the Celtic fringe was too strong for the Anglo-Saxons then England was conquered by the French in 1066.