What Languge best represents Western Europe?

Guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:01 pm GMT
<<English! Germanic grammar and latin terms.>>

English! Germanic grammar, and Germanic & latin terms.
Guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
English doesn't have Germanic grammar. Just compare English to German. It lacks noun declensions . Only verb conjugations are similar.
guest   Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:19 pm GMT
<<English doesn't have Germanic grammar. Just compare English to German. It lacks noun declensions . Only verb conjugations are similar. >>

English *does* have germanic grammar. 100%.

What you meant to say is that 'English doesn't have GERMAN grammar.' Yeah, that's what you meant.

Having Noun declensions is not the defining factor of whether grammar is germanic or not.

Is Afrikaans germanic? Comparing English to Afrikaans or Danish, or Dutch. English grammar is germanic.
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:52 am GMT
Ok define what Germanic grammar is. German grammar is very different to the English one so I don't think that there exist such Germanic grammar. English is analytic , German on the other hand is inflected.
Guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:39 am GMT
umm , Germanic grammar is just the union of the grammars of all Germanic languages.
joker   Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:27 am GMT
English grammar is not the same as German, but they are in the Germanic language grouping. The grammar may not be the same, but when I hear German, it's tempo and rythm sounds a lot closer to English than any latin language.
guest   Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
<<Ok define what Germanic grammar is. German grammar is very different to the English one so I don't think that there exist such Germanic grammar. English is analytic , German on the other hand is inflected. >>

Germanic grammar is any grammar that descends from Common Germanic (Proto-Germanic ancestor)

Some characteristics are:
1. reduction of IE cases, generally to 4 or 5 (Nom, Acc, Dat, Gen & [Instr]) This is further reduced in All Modern Gmc languages, excepting Icelandic, German, Yiddish, etc.
2. Differentiation of verbs into Strong class and Weak class (cf. English 'give', 'begin' vs. 'bring', 'thank')
3. Verb second placement (SVO)

English grammar is a simplification (modernization) of classic germanic grammar. If German were to simplify its grammatical structure, we would no doubt end up with something very close to English. This is supported by recent simplification of other languages like Dutch.
Travis   Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:41 pm GMT
Also remember the use of prepositions and verbal particles in English, which is pretty much as Germanic as it gets (note that English phrasal verbs are effectively the same thing as German separable prefix verbs). Of course, English is still on the progressive end of such, as present-day English uses many compound prepositions which were not inherited from Common Germanic very heavily, but the use of compound prepositions is a feature that can still definitely be called "Germanic" despite being generally progressive rather than conservative.
PARISIEN   Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:17 pm GMT
Travis a absolument raison.
La grammaire anglaise est à 99,9% typiquement germanique.

L'erreur est de confondre "germanique" avec "allemand". L'allemand est sous certains aspects plus conservateur mais a aussi évolué dans des directions spécifiques.

Simple comparaison:
Ang.:
- "I will dance with you"
- "I would dance with you"
Néerl.:
- "Ik zal dansen met je"
- "Ik zou dansen met je"
Suéd.:
- "Jag skall dansa med dig"
- "Jag skulle dansa med dig"
All.:
- "Ich werde mit dir tanzen"
- "Ich würde mit dir tanzen"

Ici, l'anglais est syntaxiquement plus proche que l'allemand des autres langues germaniques.

('zal/zou' et 'skall/skulle' sont étymologiquement liés à 'shall/should')