'fries' vs 'french fries'

JJM   Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:36 pm GMT
While it's true "chips" is used more than "fries" in the UK, both are common enough. As well, "fries" often implies a smaller, thinner form of chip.

'Chips" is quite common in Canada too. Any Ottawa Valley folks out there will recognize the term "chip wagon."
Adam   Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:40 am GMT
to the sweat Adam   Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:24 pm GMT
Dear Adam,

Of course, the bombs in London were not used by people who emigrated in UK and were british. No, for sure...
Guest   Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:56 pm GMT
andre in usa   Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:12 pm GMT
I usually call them french fries, and occasionally just fries. Everyone in America knows what french fries are.
eito(jpn)   Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:32 pm GMT
Guest Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:19 am GMT
AmE = BE
Fries = Chips
Chips = Crisps

I call french fries "fried potato" or "potato-fry". And in Japan, potato chips always mean "crisps".
Frances   Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:56 am GMT
The only time I refer to those cooked potato products as "french fries" or "fries" is at fast food places such as McDonalds, Hungry Jacks. Otherwise, they are chips to me, regardless of size.
Geoff_One   Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:03 am GMT
<< I call french fries "fried potato" or "potato-fry". And in Japan, potato chips always mean "crisps". >>

Yes, In Japanese:

furaido poteto
Felix the Cassowary   Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:16 pm GMT
Nasty confusingness occurs when you enter Australia, for here we use both the words "chips" and "fries", and never the word "crisps" (at least, most people don't, but there's always someone!).

So, you think, "Ahah!" (Pardon me, I've gone mad.) "The American Invasion-by-Stealth is succeeding, and those Australians are forgetting their British roots and adopting the American word for many a foodstuff!"

Not so! We're only doing it to confuse poor Americans; confused brains are all the better for drop-bears to eat (and we're only happy when they're happy!). (If it confuses anyone else, this is bonus, but drop bears much prefer American brains, so the aim is confusion of Americans.)

Hereabouts, we use "chips" for what Americans would call "chips" and Brits would call "crisps". But that's not all! We also use "chips" for what Americans would call "fries" and Brits would call "chips". Also, we use "chips" for what both Americans <em>and</em> Brits would call "chips" (like computer chips or wood chips). Lastly, the long very thin ones you get from McDonalds are called "fries"—I don't think I've ever said or heard an Australian say "french fries" before (in the context of ordering the things or discussing the items, rather than discussing the words).

(When it becomes necessary to distinguish them, we don't suddenly adopt words like "crisps" and "fries", but instead, prefer "hot chips" for the AmE fries sense, and by contrast the other sort of chips are often called "cold chips" but have varying other one-off creations that everyone understands anyway. Of course, the very act of making the distinction always leads to a discussion of the fact that Aussies do this sort of thing differently from the rest of yas.)

Chips are by far more common than fries; Maccas and Hungry Jacks (the local names for McDonalds and Burger King; the first informally, the second because of trade marks initially) as well as Diners with a fifties American theme are about the only place that sell fries. Everywhere else sells chips of varying quality (including KFC, whose chips are crap—something about chicken and chips always leads to the lowest-quality chips).

So, in summary:
AusE = BrE = AmE
chips = chips = fries
fries = chips* = fries
chips = crisps = chips
chips = chips = chips

* or sometimes "fries" apparently; so quoth JJM above.
Cro Magnon   Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:12 pm GMT
I normally call them "fries", but sometimes I call them "french fries". I've never called them "freedom fries", at least not with a straight face.
LilSue   Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:35 pm GMT
In Canada, we call them FRIES
Guest   Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 am GMT
I like to call my fries shefrees put ice cream on them and suck the ice cream off. My cat eats them too with me.
Potter luver   Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:20 pm GMT
french fries=freedom fries
which is which ????????
Uriel   Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:25 pm GMT
Hey, whatever happened to Felix the Cassowary?

We also have steak fries (much thicker slices of potato, fried), curly fries (mmmmm!), waffle fries (thick slices of potatoes cut to look like little waffles, then fried), and some sort of crazy potato chip that you find only at fairs, where they make a continuous spiral thin slice from an entire potato and frie it up as a whole piece (enough salt and grease is involved to stop your heart right at the fair).
Jim C, York   Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 pm GMT
Here, anywhere you go that isn't MacDonalds or BurgerKing you would call them Chips, even if they look like MacDonalds Fries. But in pubs, you would order Spiral Fries, not Curley Fries. Potato Waffles not Waffle Fries.
Ive never seen the fabled continuous Spiral Frie/Fry. Damian should get involved with this, the Scots know alot about fried foods.