Accent Analyzing

Milton   Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:33 pm GMT
I was close, you sounded too Canadian/Valley Girl for a Californian ;)
So, it's PA ;) Welcome to the forum :) Lauren. Is it l/A/ren or l/Q/ren?
I think I've heard both pronunciations of that name.
Does it belong to the cot/caught category or to the horrible/orange category? Does anyone know?
thanks.
K. T.   Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:59 am GMT
I was very close and I didn't even listen to her sample until later. LOL! I should have said "Pennsylvania". Apparently that "leave" characteristic comes from German and she has that feature in her area. The Amish speak a kind of Swiss German I think. Some of them came into Alsace before they moved to the United States, I understand
K. T.   Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 am GMT
Lauren,

Thank-you for explaining the "all" part. Very interesting. I listened to your sample and didn't find it unusual except for a few vowels. You have a nice, clear voice. It does sound young, but twenty-five is still young.
Travis   Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:47 am GMT
>>I was very close and I didn't even listen to her sample until later. LOL! I should have said "Pennsylvania". Apparently that "leave" characteristic comes from German and she has that feature in her area. The Amish speak a kind of Swiss German I think. Some of them came into Alsace before they moved to the United States, I understand<<

The Amish and Mennonites that speak languages other than English speak a range of different High German and Low German dialects, rather than any particular dialect. Take, for instance, the Plautdietsch spoken by Mennonites - it is a group of East Low German dialects rather than a High German dialect.
Lauren   Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:44 pm GMT
Milton, I'm still confused on the /A/ or /Q/.

So, perhaps you can clear that up for me? I did both sets of words and how I say my name.

http://fizleglitz.com/media/test.mp3
Ed   Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:19 am GMT
I uploaded a video reading the Rainbow passage to YouTube. I'm from the United States, just try to guess which State.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsRuZfsTPmM
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
Boston or Pittsburgh or Canada or Surfer Dude
You're CC merged with many /Q/ realizations.
Ed   Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
None of the above places. Pittsburgh is the closest guess so far though.
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
Ed, you sound like a non-native who has worked VERY hard on his speech, or possibly a native that has picked up some foreign aspects in your speech. Possibly you're a second-generation X?
Guest   Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:21 pm GMT
West Virginia or Kentucky.
Ed   Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
Guest, I am a native speaker. The closest forigen person to me is my grandmother, who is from El Salvador. But, I don't think she would influence my speech that much.

Anyways, thanks for the info. Once a couple more people comment I will tell you where I'm from.
Levee   Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
You have an African American accent. You could be from anywhere.
Ed   Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
"You have an African American accent. You could be from anywhere."

Wow. That is interesting that it would come across that way. I'm just about as white as they come.
Guest   Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:13 am GMT
Ed, I'm from Maryland and you sound like the people here.
Ed   Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
Okay, I'm from northern Florida. Thanks for all the guesses.